Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.. I just purchased this old B2000. I want to do an engine swap. BUT, I do not want all kinds of complicated changes. I was told there are several direct bolt in options, but after days of reading posts from people all over the internet, I have yet to find much in the way of options. Does anyone have any direct first hand knowledge on what will actually be a direct bolt in?
I already know to change gaskets and seals, clutch, etc.. But how about exactly what engine and years to get it will be direct bolt in?
Lastly. if needed, does anyone have a good running engine for sale at a reasonable price and can ship it?

·
Administrator
49 Posts
My goodness that sounds like quite the project! And all for a little truck from the 80s! And you want an easy swap and are looking for a running, 80s engine for it. Geez man! Have you tried any local junkyards? Pick a Part places? Local Craisglist? I dunno, sounds like a ton of work trying to find old, obscure parts for a truck that for the most part is long since rusted, junked and forgotten. Good luck sir.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually NOT a lot of work. Maybe for someone lazy. Just don't want to do unnecessary work. As in cutting and welding to make something fit that doesn't bolt right in. What
Wt difference does it make that the truck is old? Everything I have is old.
Yes, I checked the local yards and craigslist, etc.. I found quite a few possible donors. But have not found a B2000. Quite a few B2200 though. Which is why I asked.

·
Administrator
49 Posts
It's actually NOT a lot of work. Maybe for someone lazy. Just don't want to do unnecessary work. As in cutting and welding to make something fit that doesn't bolt right in. What
Yes, I checked the local yards and craigslist, etc.. I found quite a few possible donors. But have not found a B2000. Quite a few B2200 though. Which is why I asked.
I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No offense taken. Just thought it strange that someone ask a legit question and get flamed for it. Anyway.. Moving on..
My question still stands. I still need correct info of what is actually a direct bolt-on. Thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only direct bolt in is a carbureted B2200 engine from 1987 to 1993.

Note that some later B2200 in Canada and Western USA were fuel injected, so way more involved for your truck.

I've owned my 1988 B2200 for 26 years now and had the engine professionally locally remanufactured in February due to excessive smoke and oil burning. I just wanted it right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Cussboy! Just what I needed. There are actually 3 of the B2200 in the local yards. 2 of the 3 were totaled out from the back and side. So most likely a good engine can be found. Will be checking compression before pulling at the very least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These are very good and dependable trucks that cost very little to own. I call my’83 b2200 diesel, my “Highway wheelbarrow”. Gets 37 mpg and is so dependable, even when I don’t start it for months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone.. I just purchased this old B2000. I want to do an engine swap. BUT, I do not want all kinds of complicated changes. I was told there are several direct bolt in options, but after days of reading posts from people all over the internet, I have yet to find much in the way of options. Does anyone have any direct first hand knowledge on what will actually be a direct bolt in?
I already know to change gaskets and seals, clutch, etc.. But how about exactly what engine and years to get it will be direct bolt in?
Lastly. if needed, does anyone have a good running engine for sale at a reasonable price and can ship it?
If you're looking for OE replacement engine any carbed (provided yours isn't an EFI model) B-Series engine directly bolts in regardless of displacement as long as it came out of a vehicle with the same transmission (mind you this is what someone at least 6 years ago told me... So I might be slightly off.) as I believe the spline counts are different on the crank between AT/MT. As long as you go through a solid rebuild you should find yourself moving along just fine.

If you're like me, and want something with a little more grunt then people have taken the 2.3L Duratec Ranger/Mazda L3-NS (find yourself any Ranger between 07-11, & take what you need.) and dropped them in without much hassle. I'm personally working with a 3SGE Beams engine, but there's a lot more fabrication involved in doing so. There's also a good chunk of the show truck community who have taken the NB Miata's 1.8L platform, but I know nothing of the details of the swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only direct bolt in is a carbureted B2200 engine from 1987 to 1993.

Note that some later B2200 in Canada and Western USA were fuel injected, so way more involved for your truck.

I've owned my 1988 B2200 for 26 years now and had the engine professionally locally remanufactured in February due to excessive smoke and oil burning. I just wanted it right.
how much was a remanufactory engine I live in georgia and I cant find a engine for a 1991 B2600i ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts