Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All! New member here. Just picked up an ‘89 B2600i, 4x4, ext. cab that needs just a small bit of work (really). It is just a project/play truck for myself and a buddy (both retired) to climb some mountain trails in.

So we changed all 3 belts, in their proper locations, all properly right and all ran fine. Today we are back under the hood with Freon to check the A/C system. Before that can begin we notice the A/C belt is WAY loose. Long story short…… we can’t figure out why she won’t tighten up. I disassembled the entire tension bracket/screw system and cleaned her up. It operates properly. No matter how far I crank the tension bolt (which again, operates fine) the belt does not tighten.

Mind you the A/C belt is the middle one and it looks like it’s associated crank pulley is not (does not have) a”V” groove. It almost looks flat like a belt should not be there but being the middle belt it has nowhere else to go since the inner and outer pulleys have their own belts.

Any help, theories or conjecture here would be appreciated!!

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update! After laying under the truck analyzing the issue I saw it!!! The crankshaft pulley broke. The two forward most sections (pulleys) broke free and slid toward the fan. We put the A/C belt in the “gap” as that is where it lined up. Now that the two pulleys have slid FARTHER forward I can see the A/C belt
in a gap 2 times as wide as the belt itself. Aahhhh!!!

This also explains the “extra” pulley nearest the fan since we used the gap instead of the out of position pulley.

$205 for a new crankshaft pulley. I am sure I will need a special tool to pull that too.

Has anyone ever repaired (welded) one???

Thoughts, comments, concerns, prayers!?!?😂

·
Registered
29 Posts
Update! After laying under the truck analyzing the issue I saw it!!! The crankshaft pulley broke. The two forward most sections (pulleys) broke free and slid toward the fan. We put the A/C belt in the “gap” as that is where it lined up. Now that the two pulleys have slid FARTHER forward I can see the A/C belt
in a gap 2 times as wide as the belt itself. Aahhhh!!!

This also explains the “extra” pulley nearest the fan since we used the gap instead of the out of position pulley.

$205 for a new crankshaft pulley. I am sure I will need a special tool to pull that too.

Has anyone ever repaired (welded) one???

Thoughts, comments, concerns, prayers!?!?😂
Mine broke as well. I replaced it with a new one, and as for a special tool, I used a breaker bar, an impact socket, wedged the breaker bar against the subframe and then just clicked the starter which broke loose the bolt. Sounds sketchy, but it worked perfectly. The pulley slid right off once the bolt was loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks CJM. I did get it off just using a breaker bar and 4th gear. My seasoned car buddy suggested the frame/bump method but I was saving that for last resort. Did your new crankshaft pulley have the 1/16” gap between pulley 1 and 2 like the used one in this pic? I ask because mine looks just like this and those forward two (connected) pulleys are the ones sliding forward off the HB drum. Is this used one bad too?
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

1 - 6 of 6 Posts