Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1990 626 with a slipping 4th gear on the auto tranny. I pulled it and replaced it with a used tranny from the junk yard. Well... the problem with this one is when the car is cold the tranny shift from 1st to 2nd fine, but when it tries to go to 3rd it seems to hit neutral(not slipping) and will not go into gear until I let off the gas and coast a second or two and then press the gas and it goes in third. Now the funny part is when the car has been driven for about 20 minutes it shifts fine. I has a new filter and I have change the tranny control unit(EC-AT). Also no codes on the computer. Has anyone heard of this problem? The tranny is still under a little warranty, I'm hoping I don't have to pull it back out. :(

·
Registered
329 Posts
If your having problems with the gears changing in an Auto, check the barrens...if everything looks OK, then maybe u need a new VB ( Valve Body )

Good luck
ChRi§

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm assuming you have the G4A-EL
check the following.....
- Inhibitor switch
- Control Valves
- Oil Pump
- Forward Clutch
- One Way Clutch1
- 2-4 Brake Band and Servo
- 3-4 Clutch

626 Glx Dude

·
Registered
1 Posts
This sounds like what I went through this summer, after hot-footing it past everybody and his brother over the continental divide in Colorado in my 91 626 GT. I coasted into Denver with a melted-down torque converter, spent a week waiting for the overhaul, and drove back to Phoenix. The trouble I had was hanging between 1st and 2nd until the tranny was hot, then it shifted normally. A local Lee Myles shop removed the valve body and found a too-long bolt had been screwed into the wrong hole and distorted the VB. This caused one of the little balls and springs to not move when it was supposed to so even the Hold button didn't always work. Not a bad repair, though, because the tranny stayed in the car. Kudos to Lee Myles!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts