Mazda World Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
They might not care for Mitsu engines, but the G6 in a 1991 Mazda was a Mazda design engine. 1988 was the last year of the G5x 2600 which was a Mitsu engine. The ECU was still mfd by Mitsu, but the engine was all Mazda. In 1992, they altered the ECU to eliminate a ping problem when using regular gas in warm climates. That ECU is interchangeable with the one from the 1991 model.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
What about the Cam/Crank sensor? Is there a way to check that? Two people have asked me about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have a look at this as well. Since the truck has not run since you got it, it may be a distributor assembly problem. If this ends up being the issue, it would cost you nothing to fix.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well heck, we are practically neighbors!! Please let me know what the shop finds out about your issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Finally after over a month at the mechanics I got my truck back. It idles now and I drove it home but it still isn't ready. When cruising, the engine will suddenly lag and lose power. Sometimes pumping the throttle helps but not by much. The mechanic said they're done working on it. Extremly frustrated as I've put a lot of money and time on it and now it's been 9 months and I still have a boat anchor. It idles and runs well until it falls on it's face. When it does run, it runs well until the lag. Ideas??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did they tell you exactly what they did to the truck while in their care? This would give me a better idea of where to go next. If we don't get this resolved before the COVID nightmare is over, I may have to drive to Idaho to see it for myself. And just so you don't feel alone, mine just broke as well. The AC condenser got blocked, seized the compressor, took out the 2 piece crankshaft pulley and took the truck out of service. I am now in the process of replacing:

The AC condenser
The AC compressor
The AC evaporator
The Crankshaft Pulley
The radiator
The water pump
The thermostat housing
The thermostat
The hoses (AC / Radiator)
Valve cover gasket
Exhaust manifold gasket

I finally received all of the parts, and am planning surgery over the holidays.

At least we can co-miserate :mad:

Hang in there
Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Did they tell you exactly what they did to the truck while in their care? This would give me a better idea of where to go next. If we don't get this resolved before the COVID nightmare is over, I may have to drive to Idaho to see it for myself. And just so you don't feel alone, mine just broke as well. The AC condenser got blocked, seized the compressor, took out the 2 piece crankshaft pulley and took the truck out of service. I am now in the process of replacing:

The AC condenser
The AC compressor
The AC evaporator
The Crankshaft Pulley
The radiator
The water pump
The thermostat housing
The thermostat
The hoses (AC / Radiator)
Valve cover gasket
Exhaust manifold gasket

I finally received all of the parts, and am planning surgery over the holidays.

At least we can co-miserate :mad:

Hang in there
Chris
Still waiting for a call back from the mechanic as to what he did. I have it at another place at the moment. I did find out that the Mazda dealorship has a couple of mechanics who have worked on Mazdas for over thirty years each. That's probably my last resort.

Sounds like you do have a project now. Sorry to hear thet. At least the AC isn't critical this time of year!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Still waiting for a call back from the mechanic as to what he did. I have it at another place at the moment. I did find out that the Mazda dealorship has a couple of mechanics who have worked on Mazdas for over thirty years each. That's probably my last resort.

Sounds like you do have a project now. Sorry to hear thet. At least the AC isn't critical this time of year!
Well, The next mechanic told me there could be some mechanical issues on top of the fuel injection stuff. New one to me as other mechanics hadn't picked up anything. That was it for me. I've been a slave to this thing for way longer than I should have been. There is a place for not wanting to give up, and I don't give up easily, but I went out and bought a 1996 Mazda B4000 yesterday. Feel like I just had a 2000 + pound pickup lifted off my back. Now to find someone else to finish the project. What are you driving these days?

·
Administrator
164 Posts
Jeb, you paid a mechanic and he handed it over with the engine still not fixed?

Did you pay him? I hope not man.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Jeb, you paid a mechanic and he handed it over with the engine still not fixed?

Did you pay him? I hope not man.
What I've run into with the three reputable mechanics who have seen it, a forth wouldn't touch it, is that due to it's age, the time involved could cost too much. The guy who did the most too it meaning got it to idle for the first time as well as to be able to drive it though it ran poorly, said he felt bad about charging me the whole amount so charged me half which was $360, The main problem is finding someone who really knows these trucks. Truthfully, I'm done. It's been 10 Months now and I want to get in the hills, Hopefully I can get something for it as it's got a good interior and a straight body. I feel like I've been a slave to it long enough.

·
Administrator
164 Posts
What I've run into with the three reputable mechanics who have seen it, a forth wouldn't touch it, is that due to it's age, the time involved could cost too much. The guy who did the most too it meaning got it to idle for the first time as well as to be able to drive it though it ran poorly, said he felt bad about charging me the whole amount so charged me half which was $360, The main problem is finding someone who really knows these trucks. Truthfully, I'm done. It's been 10 Months now and I want to get in the hills, Hopefully I can get something for it as it's got a good interior and a straight body. I feel like I've been a slave to it long enough.
Yea, it seems like you have had a lot of angst with this truck, maybe someone who is a professional mechanic would like it? Buy a used JEEP CJ or something.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts