Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question a few years back and do not want to recall that old thread. I still have the problem with the car not starting when the outside temperature goes below 40 to 45 degrees. If I place a space heater under the hood for several minutes it will start fine. Currently it will start up just fine without the use of the space heater due to the weather being warm even though I am showing a P1195 code which I believe is related to the EGR sensor.
When the car would not start in cold weather, ignition spark was good, but the fuel injectors were not feeding fuel to the engine. I verified this by removing a couple of plugs from the engine and they were dry. Fuel pump was working fine, pressure was good, fuel filter was changed so that is not the problem. When the engine was heated by the space heater mentioned above during cold heater the injectors would provide fuel resulting in the engine starting right up. What sensor or sensors or other causes would cause the injectors not to provide fuel to the engine when cold and when the outside temperature is cold below 45 degrees.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have to say that I do not think I have read or heard of this happening. Sorry I have no help other than it should be related to the egr boost sensor. Your Millenia must be one of those female builds as it likes to stay warm and want to live in Florida. Keep us posted.
TomK

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't know enough about the ECU to know if a EGR boost sensor problem could cause the injectors to shut off, but your strong sensitivity to temperature makes it sound like a failed/weak circuit, probably in the EGR sensor. It isn't common for solid state circuits to fail that way, but does happen.

You might be able to narrow it down to that sensor by applying spot heat to the sensor for 10 sec or so with a heat gun or hair dryer, to see if that permits it to start. In case you don't know, it is located in that rail mounted on the middle rear of the intake manifold, near the firewall, along with a bunch of other similar valves and sensors (see attached diagram).

Also, if you haven't looked, here is a link to info on P1195 from milleniatech.net. Suspiciously, it indicates that ECU monitoring conditions are that air intake temp is above 10C, or very close to your 40-45F cut off. Oddly though, it sounds you are ok when it is within the monitoring conditions (above 10C), but not when below. Given that, I would suggest double checking all the vacuum lines for the EGR components on that rear rail as well, if you haven't done that.

milleniatech.net - P1195

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies Kutch1 and Lefty and thanks Lefty for the diagram and suggestions regarding the vacuum lines. The real test will be when the weather gets colder in the NE. In the meantime, will work on clearing the P1195 and will keep you all posted on the results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts