Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok for those of you wanting to put 2001-2002 gauge clusters in a 2000 and earlier Milly...............dont hold your breath. I recently got a hold of wiring diagrams for both of the clusters and It will be a PITA to do.

1. The Speedo , Tach , Fuel , Temp , & Odometer are all linked to a Micro computer inside the 2001 cluster , comparing of the diagrams shows 3 extra wires needed for input into the Micro computer that come from the engine control system.

2. You will need the plugs/connectors (all 3 of them) from a 01-02 wiring harness with enough wire to splice into your wiring harness. "All the wires will have to be rearranged".

3. there are 4 power wires running to the 01-02 cluster : Hot in Run & Start , Hot in Run & Acc. , Hot when Relay is Energized , Hot at all times. While pre 01 clusters have 1 : Hot in run & Start

4. 2001 clusters have 7 wires going to a CPU while pre 01 clusters have 5

Basic wiring breakdown: These are in order of the 2001 cluster pin out :

2001-2002 Cluster wire Pre 2001 wiring harness

Plug 1

A. WHT/BLK stripe - Start/charge sys. > WHT/BLK stripe located on 3rd plug
B. YEL/RED stripe - Oil Pressure switch > YEL/RED stripe Located on 2nd plug
C. Empty
D. Empty
E. Empty
F. Empty
G. Empty
H. PINK - To CPU > PINK Located on 3rd plug
I. Empty
J. YEL/BLUE stripe - To CPU >YEL/BLUE stripe Located on 3rd plug
K. Empty
L. BLUE/RED stripe - washer fluid level sensor > BLUE/RED stripe Located on 1st plug (BLUE/WHITE Stripe for 95-96)
M. Empty
N. GRAY/RED stripe - ABS > GRAY/RED stripe Located on 3rd plug (BLUE for 95-96)
O. Empty
P. PINK/BLK Stripe - Parking Brake Switch >PINK/BLK Stripe Located on 1st plug
Q. Empty
R. BROWN/RED stripe - Brake Fluid Level Sensor > BROWN/RED stripe Located on 1st plug

Plug 2

A. BLUE/ORANGE Stripe - Gear Indicator : L >BLUE/ORANGE stripe Located on 2nd plug (95-96 Only)
B. GREEN/BLK Stripe - Left Turn Bulb > GREEN/BLK Stripe Located on 2nd plug
C. LIGHTGREEN/BLK Stripe - Gear Indicator : S > LIGHTGREEN/BLK Stripe located on 2nd plug (95-96 Only)
D. Empty
E. RED/BLUE Stripe - Gear Indicator : D > RED Located on 3rd plug (95-96 only)
F. RED/WHITE Stripe - Hi Beam Indicator > RED/WHITE Stripe Located on 3rd plug
G. BROWN - Gear Indicator : N >BROWN Located on 3rd plug (95-96 only)
H. Empty
I. RED/YELLOW Stripe - Gear Indicator : R > RED/YELLOW Stripe Located on 3rd plug (95-96 only)
J. LIGHTGREEN - Right Turn Bulb > LIGHTGREEN located on 3rd plug
K. WHITE/RED Stripe - Gear Indicator : P > WHITE/GREEN Stripe Located on 3rd plug (95-96 only)
L. BLACK/BLUE Stripe - Start/Charge sys >BLACK/BLUE Stripe Located on 1st plug (BLACK/YELLOW stripe 95-96)
M. Empty
N. YELLOW/BLK Stripe - ABS > Not Located
O. GREEN/WHITE Stripe - ABS/TCS Light > GREEN/WHITE Stripe Located on 1st plug
P. BROWN/YELLOW Stripe - TCS Off Light > GREEN/RED Stripe Located on 3rd plug
Q. GRAY/BLK Stripe - Hold Light > GRAY/BLK Stripe Located on 2nd plug (VIOLET 95-96)
R. Empty
S. GRAY/RED Stripe - Micro Computer >Not Located
T. WHITE - Tied into Panel Lighting System/sound system >Not Located
U. Empty
V. WHITE/VIOLET Stripe - Panel Lighting System >WHITE/VIOLET Stripe (Cluster Illumination)

Plug 3

A. BLACK/YELLOW Stripe - Hot in Run & Start >BLACK/YELLOW Stripe Located on 2nd plug
B. PINK/GREEN Stripe - Hot in Run & Acc. >Not Located
C. RED - Hot When Relay Energized >Not Located
D. BLUE/RED Stripe - Hot At All Times >Not Located
E. BLUE - Panel Lighting Control > Not Located
F. RED/WHITE Stripe - Panel Lighting Control > Not Located
G. ORANGE - Microcomputer > Not Located
H. GREEN/YELLOW Stripe - Fuel Level >GREEN/YELLOW Stripe Located on 3rd plug
I. RED/GREEN Stripe - Coolant Temp Sensor >GREEN Located on 2nd plug
J. VIOLET/GREEN Stripe - MIL Indicator (CES,SES) > VIOLET/GREEN Stripe Located on 1st plug
K. WHITE/GREEN Stripe - SRS System(Air Bag Lamp) > RED/GREEN Stripe Located on 3rd plug
L. BLUE/YELLOW Stripe - Microcomputer >Not Located
M. LIGHTGREEN - Cruise Set Lamp >LIGHTGREEN Located on 1st plug
N. RED/BLK Stripe - Panel Lighting Control >Not Located
O. BLACK/RED Stripe - Microcomputer (Fuel Input) >BLACK/RED Stripe Located on 2nd plug
P. Empty
Q. BLACK - Ground >BLACK Located on 3rd plug
R. BLUE/BLK Stripe - Microcomputer >Not Located

Thats the plug wiring in a nut shell. I will be tracking down where all the "Not Located" wires go to once I decipher these wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So it didn't come out the way I typed it and centered everything. Basically everything after a ">" refers to the Pre 2001 harness.

Now on some of the "Not Located" spots this is where the Speedo , Tach , & buzzer inputs will be located once I figure out which wire they are. the rest of the diagram is located on another page which I haven't printed out yet.

I forgot to mention the wiring is from : Mitchell On Demand 5.8

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Updates !!

Okay did some searching of the 2001-2002 wiring diagrams and found out where some of the "Not Located" pins went to. All I have to do now is locate where they are on pre-2001 vehicles. What I have found:

Plug 2

N. YELLOW/BLUE Stripe - runs to the ABS unit/controller - trips or feeds off of the Brake Idiot Light for ABS > Non exsistant

S. GRAY/RED Stripe - According to the diagrams that is what the wire color is coming out of the cluster going to a Joint box and coming out the other end GREEN/RED Stripe. Now this wire maybe the speedometer input because it runs from the cluster to the PCM and is tied in with the Cruise Control Module. More on the speedometer later.

T. WHITE - Runs to the headunit - which I am guessing is to controll the dimming of the Headunit - It comes out of the Panel Lighting Control in the cluster which gets most of its inputs from the Dimmer Switch.

Plug 3

B. PINK/GREEN Stripe - Runs to the 'Radio' Fuse - ??
C. RED - Runs to 'Illumination' Fuse - ??
D. BLUE/RED Stripe - Runs to 'Room' Fuse - ??
E. BLUE - 1 of 3 wires that runs between the Panel Lighting Control and Dimmer switch
F. RED/WHITE Stripe - 2 of 3 wires that runs between the Panel Lighting Control and Dimmer switch
G. ORANGE - This is the wire for the 'Tachometer' > GREEN/BLUE Stripe located on 1st plug
L. BLUE/YELLOW Stripe - Runs to the PCM - Possible second wire for Speedometer
N. RED/BLK Stripe - 3 of 3 wires that runs between the Panel Lighting Control and Dimmer switch
R. BLUE/BLK Stripe - Runs to ABS Unit/Controller from the Microcomputer in the cluster

Now on the 2001-2002 Millenias the Speedometer sensor sends a signal to the PCM which then sends the signal to the Speedometer and Cruise Control Module.

On the pre 01 Millys The Speedometer Sensor sends a signal to the Speedometer which then sends an output signal to the Cruise Control Module.

The GRAY/RED Stripe wire found in plug 2 pin S changes to a GREEN/RED Stripe , or is just a typo and it is actually GREEN instead of GRAY , Matches up with the GREEN/RED Stripe found in the 2nd plug of the pre 01 Milly which also runs to the Speedometer.

Thats all for now , I have to let the ole knoggin cool down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pearl's last activity was 11/2011 and his last post was 09/2010 so I don't think you'll be hearing from him. :p

I did some research on this as I wanted to do it as well but it seems everyone came to the conclusion it was not worth the effort. This was because of the time (not to mention expense) of rewiring and canibalization of the donor car's wire loom (in dash and engine compartment I believe). Iirc someone said it would even need the donor car's ecu...

Do a google. You'll see. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.