Mazda World Forum banner

2002 Tribute - Screeching sound during acceleration

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PerusTC 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I recently bought a 2002 Tribute with 3.0 v6 with a little over 200K miles. I’ve put in all new spark plugs, 3 new coils, a new radiator, new serpentine belt and 2 new egr valves after I found the front catalytic converter was plugged. I removed the front catalytic converter and most of the internal contents fell out in small
pieces. I broke up the rest of the pieces thru the o2 ports with a piece of drill rod, so now it’s hollow.

Since I’ve resolved the catalytic converter problem, I’ve experienced a high pitched screeching sound when I accelerate, but immediately stops once I release the throttle. When driving, as long as I don't go over 2000 rpm and the road is flat, I don't get the noise. Going up a slight hill or a quick push of the throttle activates the sound. I'm not noticing any loss of power, just a nuisance.

I originally thought serpentine belt, so I changed it out with no improvement. I’ve got no error codes in OBD2 scan and cannot figure out where it’s coming from. I’ve read several threads on here and check for exhaust leaks, cracked vacuum lines, etc and don’t see any issues.

Has anyone experienced this before and if so, what did you do to fix it? I have a video on youtube I took last night of the condition. It gives a better indication of what I am experiencing. I'll post separately as this is my first post and it won't let me attach it to this one.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.