Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a 2003 Mazda 323 protege that one day driving just stopped running and I have been unable to diagnose the issue. I have some mechanical knowledge and feel like there is some sensor somewhere stopping the car from running. So far I have replaced the fuel pump, coils, crank angle sensor and still it won't start. It turns over fine but does not sound like there is any spark to the engine. I ask the magnificent Mazda gurus to help me diagnose the issue, what else could be stopping me from getting spark? As far as I am aware there is no immobiliser on the car which may impede it's ability to spark..

Kind regards,
Humble B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi - seems kind of deserted in here, I know. I have a post elsewhere for a similar situation and all I hear are crickets.

But I've tried some other things on my 2000 626 V6: Do you know for sure that you have no spark? I had to pull one random wire (plug end) and spark plug, then connect the spark plug back to the wire and lay the plug on some metal part of the engine. I positioned that setup so could see the plug from inside the car and cranked the engine: sure enough, the spark was there and healthy.

If you're smelling gas right after cranking it a bit, then you know your new fuel pump is doing it's job.

In my situation (and I hope NOT yours) it turned out that my timing belt got hung up and stopped driving the valve trains. I'm in the process of fixing that, but other than that (or a misfit PCM), it's gotta be one of the usual suspects (fuel or spark) that's guilty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts