Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm a rookie at auto work. I just bought this awesome Mazda 6 for 2500. These codes popped and I am completely lost as to where to even begin to repair. If anyone can help guide me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. The codes are...

P0403: EGR→ Circuit Malfunction

P2187: OBD-II Trouble Code: System Too Lean at Idle DTC

P0401: EGR – Insufficient Flow Diagnosis

P2189: OBD-II Trouble Code: Sys Too Lean at Idle Bank 2

Thanks for helping out a rookie.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome wagon owner. Knowing the year will help give more specific info but this should help regardless of generation.
First thing. You are driving a v6 and those are notorious for developing a misfire as a result of poor ignition coils (called coils on plugs or COP)
My first order of business would be to Replace all 6 plugs, all 6 coils and the PCV valve (because it is very easy to get to with the intake manifold off but quite hard otherwise)

All those codes could be related to a plugged EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) pipe. The pipe is located on the exhaust as it exit the back of the engine bay and runs up to the intake manifold. It will likely need to be removed and cleaned out.

This is how I would proceed:
1. Check the accordion intake for cracks and replace if any.
2. Check that all the hoses running to the black plastic intake on top of the engine are connected and intact.
3. Remove and clean MAF with appropriate cleaner (don't spray the electrics)
4. Remove and clean EGR valve and EGR tube.
5. Replace EGR purge solenoid on firewall.

After all codes clear, Replace all 6 coils and plugs (and PCV) unless they have been done in the last 20K-40K miles.

The coils should be replaced every 60K-80K miles on the v6.

This car does not report a misfire well and it leads to an overheated catalytic converter. The converter disintegrates and little pieces get pulled in through the EGR where they destroy the motor. The codes for manifold/catalyst failure are P0421 and P0431. Cleaning the EGR tube can allow the pieces into your intake if this failure has happened!

Mazda 6 manifold catalytic converter failure.JPG DSCN3778.JPG

Drain and refill transmission fluid (if automatic) but do not flush!
A standard through replacement would be to drain and refill the trans fluid 3 times then do a single drain and refill every 30K miles after that. There is no filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome wagon owner. Knowing the year will help give more specific info but this should help regardless of generation.
First thing. You are driving a v6 and those are notorious for developing a misfire as a result of poor ignition coils (called coils on plugs or COP)
My first order of business would be to Replace all 6 plugs, all 6 coils and the PCV valve (because it is very easy to get to with the intake manifold off but quite hard otherwise)

All those codes could be related to a plugged EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) pipe. The pipe is located on the exhaust as it exit the back of the engine bay and runs up to the intake manifold. It will likely need to be removed and cleaned out.

2. Check that all the hoses running to the black plastic intake on top of the engine are connected and intact.

After all codes clear, Replace all 6 coils and plugs (and PCV) unless they have been done in the last 20K-40K miles.

This car does not report a misfire well and it leads to an overheated catalytic converter. The converter disintegrates and little pieces get pulled in through the EGR where they destroy the motor. The codes for manifold/catalyst failure are P0421 and P0431. Cleaning the EGR tube can allow the pieces into your intake if this failure has happened!

View attachment 10572 View attachment 10571

A standard through replacement would be to drain and refill the trans fluid 3 times then do a single drain and refill every 30K miles after that. There is no filter.

View attachment 10566

View attachment 10564

View attachment 10562

View attachment 10572 View attachment 10571

View attachment 10566

View attachment 10564

View attachment 10562
Wow thank you so much. It's a 2006 Mazda 6. Amazing post man I appreciate the help. Very detailed and the pictures help alot too. Can't thank you enough, I will keep you all updated on the progress!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts