Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2006 rx8 and after a few days I noticed it was getting harder to start it. Also it’s idling rough, then the check engine light came on when I checked the code it said engine misfire I never noticed it misfiring while driving, it drives fine while on the road. I put new spark plugs in and in the process of cleaning air filter Any other things i should check, hoping it’s not the seals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought a 2006 rx8 and after a few days I noticed it was getting harder to start it. Also it’s idling rough, then the check engine light came on when I checked the code it said engine misfire I never noticed it misfiring while driving, it drives fine while on the road. I put new spark plugs in and in the process of cleaning air filter Any other things i should check, hoping it’s not the seals.
its unlikely the seals unless its burning oil bad enough it fouled the plugs. you should also replace the plug wires and if it has a distributor then also the cap and rotor just to eliminate all misfire possibilities. Afterwards be sure to reset the trouble code from the ecm by turning the ignition to the on position removing the positive terminal from the battery and leave it off. go back to the ignition and cycle it thru 3 times with 10 seconds between each cycle ending with the ignition in the on position. go back to the battery and replace the terminal. now for the vehicle to process a full drive cycle you should go to the freeway and drive the car for about 45 minutes at 55 mph avoiding hard accelerations and rapid decelerations. that's it you're done. if the check engine light comes back on with the same code its likely the ignition coil is going bad and should be replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts