Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thx for allowing me to join your forum. As the title explains I have park brake problem. The brake caliper return spring is no longer pulling the piston on the caliper all the way back into position causing the break lever in the car to become sloppy. If I lubricate the area with wd40 it works again for about 2 months and then binds up again. The disc rear pads are only about 1/4 used and the brakes work fine except the park brake. I had had the vehicle up on my hoist at home and disconnected the cable from each side to ensure it was not the cable sticking somewhere. The lever will return to its normal position with some help from a screwdriver or by pulling on it hard. an example pic from an other site is attached and I can send photos or video if that may help.
Any ideas World? The pic here is off a mazda 3 but the setup is similar

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey so there is actually a safety recall for this issue. it affects mazda 6's from 14-16 I believe but here's the description off the dealer site, "On the mechanical (cable) type parking brake, water may enter the brake caliper due to inappropriate sealing performance of the rear brake caliper protective boot, particularly under cold temperatures, and the parking brake actuator shaft, which is a component of the rear brake caliper, may rust, increasing the sliding resistance of the actuator shaft. The rusted actuator shaft may stick in the brake caliper body, which may result in rear brakes dragging while driving and a decreased parking brake holding force. This could result in unexpected movement of the vehicle if parked on a slope, increasing the risk of a collision. The braking performance by brake pedal operation is not affected.
The purpose of this recall is to check the rear brake calipers and perform appropriate repairs."

So basically you should be able to bring it to your local mazda dealer and have them inspect and repair the issue and since it's a recall they shouldn't charge you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey so there is actually a safety recall for this issue. it affects mazda 6's from 14-16 I believe but here's the description off the dealer site, "On the mechanical (cable) type parking brake, water may enter the brake caliper due to inappropriate sealing performance of the rear brake caliper protective boot, particularly under cold temperatures, and the parking brake actuator shaft, which is a component of the rear brake caliper, may rust, increasing the sliding resistance of the actuator shaft. The rusted actuator shaft may stick in the brake caliper body, which may result in rear brakes dragging while driving and a decreased parking brake holding force. This could result in unexpected movement of the vehicle if parked on a slope, increasing the risk of a collision. The braking performance by brake pedal operation is not affected.
The purpose of this recall is to check the rear brake calipers and perform appropriate repairs."

So basically you should be able to bring it to your local mazda dealer and have them inspect and repair the issue and since it's a recall they shouldn't charge you.
Thanks but there is no recall in Australia where I live on my VIN

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks but there is no recall in Australia where I live on my VIN
Oof that’s rough, basically the shafts that spin the caliper out inside the caliper get rusted because the rubber boot design is incorrect/doesn’t work properly, therefore you have to take the boot off and inspect the shaft, if it looks like it’s rusty you can try cleaning it off if it’s not too bad but if it’s really making the pads stick bad you’ll have to just replace or rebuild the caliper. Either option you should make sure to use a newly updated boot design. I’m not sure the availability however as I’m basing this off of US info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try to reset hand brake.
1. Removed a center console
2. Release hand brake adjust nut
3. Removed rear calipers
4. Push brake pistons until end(actually clockwise turn and push)-Both side
5. Removed air in brake piston seals
6. Assemble rear calipers
7. Push the brake pedal several time
8. Tighten hand brake adjust nut suitably