Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to flush the coolant on my sons 2015 Mazda 3 gx car as well as change the manual transmission fluid. The car was made in Mexico and has the 2.0l skyactive.
1. His car takes fl22 coolant. I would like to flush everything out with distilled water but I'm not sure how I would get the proper ratio of coolant afterwards since the collant is premixed.
2. Anyone know what fluid I need for the manual transmission?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My recommendation for the coolant flush would be to simply drain the radiator and refill it, the majority of the coolant will be in the radiator anyways and that way you won't have to worry about your water:coolant ratio. And as for the manual transmission gear oil, it's 1.8 qts of 75w-80 gear oil.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My recommendation for the coolant flush would be to simply drain the radiator and refill it, the majority of the coolant will be in the radiator anyways and that way you won't have to worry about your water:coolant ratio. And as for the manual transmission gear oil, it's 1.8 qts of 75w-80 gear oil.
We will be working on aunt's new 2016 Mazda 3 after we finished installing the brake kit and m/t tires on the Wrangler and clear the garage. She recently acquired the Mazda 3 and it got a low coolant level. Hope there's no leak somewhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We will be working on aunt's new 2016 Mazda 3 after we finished installing the brake kit and m/t tires on the Wrangler and clear the garage. She recently acquired the Mazda 3 and it got a low coolant level. Hope there's no leak somewhere.
I haven’t seen many coolant leaks on these engines which is nice. I have seen a few of the water pumps begin to weep a little around 75k-80k miles but not terribly. If there’s no coolant at all in the reservoir I would only add up to maybe a little under halfway between the min and full mark. That way if the engine is hot and a majority of the coolant just happens to still be in the engines water jackets there will still be room for the coolant to expand and return to the reservoir without over flowing. I would also just take a look at the radiator in case there’s been any front end damage. Look for any green stains around the bottom of the radiator, by the necks where the large hoses attach, and by the radiator cap itself. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven’t seen many coolant leaks on these engines which is nice. I have seen a few of the water pumps begin to weep a little around 75k-80k miles but not terribly. If there’s no coolant at all in the reservoir I would only add up to maybe a little under halfway between the min and full mark. That way if the engine is hot and a majority of the coolant just happens to still be in the engines water jackets there will still be room for the coolant to expand and return to the reservoir without over flowing. I would also just take a look at the radiator in case there’s been any front end damage. Look for any green stains around the bottom of the radiator, by the necks where the large hoses attach, and by the radiator cap itself. Hope this helps!
Thank you. Will take a closer look at the radiator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts