Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Mazda 323 2WD hatchback that needs new struts. They're the originals and are leaking oil.

I have the '89 Mazda 323 shop manual from Mazda. The manual does not mention using a spring compressor during strut replacement. The manual says (summarized) to get both wheels off the ground and remove some bolts. The manual only shows using a spring compressor to remove the coil springs, not to remove the struts.

Does that mean you can replace Mazda 323 struts without using a spring compressor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ultimately you will need to remove the coil springs to replace the struts. But to get the struts/springs off as a unit then no spring compressor is needed. Jack the car up and place a jack stand under both sides of the vehicle to keep wheels off the ground. Remove wheels/tires. Loosen nuts from top of strut well. Remove strut from steering knuckle and also stabilizer links. Strut and coil spring should be removable at this point. Spring Compressor tools are required at this point or be safe and take to a mechanic just to be safe. If you haven't done this procedure before then I suggest you have it done because it can be deadly!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts