Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Mazda B2600i 4x4 SE-5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've recently purchased a 1989 Mazda B2600i, being the second one that I've owned.

The problem I'm having is that the coolant temperature gauge on the dash is not properly displaying temperature. After a few minutes of driving the gauge will move up the the very bottom line (cold) and not move past that.

I've purchased and replaced the coolant temperature sensor.

But it did not help at all. After some searching I keep seeing another "Coolant temperature sensor/sender -gauge"

But for the life of me cannot find where this sensor/sender is located, in any literature or diagram.

If anyone has any ideas where this second sensor/sender is located or any other advice on getting my temperature gauge to work, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
First thing - and no cost - would be to bleed ALL the air out of the cooling system. I have B2200, and tricky on these trucks. Jack up front end or park on severe uphill. Take off radiator cap, turn on heat, start engine, and keep adding 50/50 coolant until no more can be added; can take 20 minutes.

On my B2200, the sender for my gauge is on the cylinder head near the thermostat outlet pipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The first link that you posted is the coolant sender/sensor for the ECU, not the dash temp gauge.

The second link that you posted is similar to the dash temp gauge (located on the side of the thermostat housing) but instead of a flat blade connection terminal, it should have a round pin connection terminal.......circled in red below.

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Gas Vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
98 Posts
The second link that you posted is similar to the dash temp gauge (located on the side of the thermostat housing) but instead of a flat blade connection terminal, it should have a round pin connection terminal.......circled in red below.

View attachment 10644
Sithross - Axel Breaker Earl knows a ton about thee trucks; he was the resource I was hoping would answer you.

Earl - the engine photo shows a circled sender that looks very much like the temperature sender in my 1988 B2200

·
Registered
1989 Mazda B2600i 4x4 SE-5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I believe I've narrowed it down to being the gauge/gears of the gauge itself.

I completely replaced the thermostat and did a full coolant change at that time. While I had the water pump open, I pulled both coolant sensors out of it and cleaned them. Then tested both of them in a bowl of hot water with a multimeter to ensure there was voltage change, indicating that they are functioning.

Once everything was put back together, I took it for a test drive. The gauge responded the same way it did before: Starting a bit below the bottom line of the gauge, and was just above the cool line when at operating temps. The only difference being that with the new thermostat it sits higher on the gauge, but that was expected due to it being a 192°F instead of the 180°F thermostat that was removed.

Leading me to believe that the problem is just that my gauge has skipped some teeth and thus is responding properly just in the wrong position on the gauge.

I'm going to go pull the gauge cluster out of my parts truck probably this weekend, as some practice and to have the spare part ready. Just incase it is easier to just swap them instead of trying to get the gauge back in the correct position.

Where the gauge sits when cold
Vehicle Personal luxury car Gas Electronic device Multimedia

Where the gauge use to sit at operating temp.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part Vehicle Automotive mirror

These are the two sensors that I checked and cleaned.
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Auto part Nut

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Car

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts