Mazda World Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry I have been tied up with work and school...

This weekend I should have more detailed info..

Because the 929 is such a heavy pig it is very hard to find the correct shocks..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by The_Saint@Jul 7 2005, 08:21 PM
Sorry I have been tied up with work and school...

This weekend I should have more detailed info..

Because the 929 is such a heavy pig it is very hard to find the correct shocks..
[snapback]285186[/snapback]​
thanx for getting back with us. Hope this works.My shocks SUCKASS!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well I found 2 so far that may fit I just need to go back to the junk yard and take some measurements from a 929 and check the bolt size on the shock...

So hope fully I'll have good new soon...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by The_Saint@Jul 13 2005, 10:33 AM
Well I found 2 so far that may fit I just need to go back to the junk yard and take some measurements from a 929 and check the bolt size on the shock...

So hope fully I'll have good new soon...
[snapback]286767[/snapback]​
YO! Saint I think you've got a captive audience. I know I'm staying tuned>

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Subject Car: 1992-95 Mazda 929
Length: 193.7 in.
Width: 70.7 in.
Height: 54.9 in.
Wheel Base: 112.2 in.
Curb Weight: 3596 lbs.
Ground Clearance: 5.1 in

Well I went down to the junk yard yesterday and the car from which I planned on getting the shock info from was gone :( .
Here is the info I have gathered so far feel free to add your input...

The goal was to find a replacment shock for the 92-95 929..
The requirements are as follows, the donor car has to be either within the same weight class of the 929 or heavier..... and also have the same designed shock..

I search online @ edmunds comparing car which I though were with in the same weight class of the 929..

I looked and Lexus,Acura, Toyota, Nissan, Infinity etc, etc

I found that the 95 to 99 Maximas have a similar design shock

However, the Maxima clocks in at only 3085 lbs and there were no Maxima of that year at the junk yard.

I moved on to the Infinity J30, the shocks are very similar to the 929, but I also ran into the weight issue, also the J30 shock are dealers items just like the 929...

Finally, I remembered that alot of parts on the 929 said Mitsubishi and since there is only one Mitsubishi sedan that is as big as the 929 (the Diamante). I started comparing the years.... The more I compared the year the more I ran into the weight issue until I compared the 1995 Diamante, for some reason this model weighs alot more than the 929 and even more than any year Diamante.

Donor car: 1995 Mitsubishi Diamante V6 3000
Length: 190.2 in.
Width: 69.9 in.
Height: 52.6 in.
Wheel Base: 107.1 in.
Curb Weight: 3605 lbs.
Ground Clearance: 4.09 in

The Diamante clocks in at 9lbs heavier than the 92-95 929, so it met the weight criteria. I searched online for a pic of the shocks, and I found this one.

I was not 110% sure it this was the actual shocks; that is when I went down to the junk yard. At the junk yard there was only one Diamante there a 94, I was able to get a look at the shock and it looked like it would fit. So yesterday I went back with a breaker bar and some heavy tools in order to bust the trunk open and take the wheels off to get to the shocks; but sadly when I went back the Diamante was gone...

So any input will help..

Does anyone have access to a diamante 95 LS sedan or wagan??

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well I spoke to a friend at the local discount autoparts and I maybe able to get a look at the shocks.... if it fits the 929 bolt parterns then i'll check to see if the front struts will fit..

The only problem I see is that if these shocks work, then the 929's may ride 1 inch lower because of where the spring support is on the diamante shock..

Saint.........your a real good guy to be doing this for us 929 owners.
Well this is one of my last contribution to this section...
I'll soon have a different shift so i'll have no more time for posting ..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by The_Saint@Jul 17 2005, 05:26 PM
Well I spoke to a friend at the local discount autoparts and I maybe able to get a look at the shocks.... if it fits the 929 bolt parterns then i'll check to see if the front struts will fit..
The only problem I see is that if these shocks work, then the 929's may ride 1 inch lower because of where the spring support is on the diamante shock..
Well this is one of my last contribution to this section...
I'll soon have a different shift so i'll have no more time for posting ..
[snapback]288468[/snapback]​
Thanx Saint I would check my locl boneyard but I broke my hand on some DICKHEADS jaw in NEW ORLEANS this weekend. BUT THE DAM 9 got me there and back!!!!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
hi welcome to the forum... i know for sure the front diamante struts will not fit. You will have to be do LOT of fabrication. but the rear ones might i'm really not sure about those either, you would have to do a LOT of research if people have tried this method with other cars ..... heres the reason the front ones wont fit

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to bump a dead thread, but... I wanted to know as to whether anyone ever tried the Diamante shocks?

The reason being....1) My 929's rear shocks need doing pretty soon and the only price I can get on them is around $660 and that is for used rear shocks (not including installation).

2) Living in Australia, the Mitsubishi Diamante was manufactured here in Aus and was a very common car sold in the Manga/Verada guise(which sold like 3,000+ monthly units in '96 - '99), so if the rear shocks do fit I could get them cheap and they wouldn't be hard to get.

If not i'll just get the rear shocks re-built.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Like i said before i'm not sure about the rears but the fronts i can say this forsure .... if you havent done much fabrication in the past i would look the other way...

Reason being is you would have to convert a strut(shown in the pic above) into a shock basically make a sraket that bolts into the strut with a place for a bolt so it fits into the stock 929 hub. ALso would would have to redesign the lower spring mount without welding on the case of the strut. And last and least easy is swap over the spring mounts/bearings to the top of the diamante strut.IS it poossible yes, is it cost effective... maybe maybe not fo us new shocks alone are 220$ + 190$ mounts and 60$ bearings and thats per one axle.

Anyways enough of that ramble look into the rx7 shocks, they seem like a better candidate because they are shocks, not struts and are from a mazda, also many Hc guys use rx7 parts with slight mods. Maybe its the same case with the HD.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks Dima for finding/repo thread
Will go with the stock replacements for the rear, replace boots, and make good measurements (both spring and shock) and post them. December hopfully.

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah i would really like to know...my car has been lowered and i would like it back to normal ride height, cause living out here in the country type area really sucks for a lowered car, and speed bumps are my mortal enemy, so if anyone has a clue on which would work best plz help me and driving on any highway where you can go anywhere over 130 km/h would be nice, and my car also bounces all over the road....thanks for everything

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I was reading some posts back from 2003 and there was a member here who used Accord lowering springs and Blistien shocks to lower his HD...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yea I read that too but he didnt give any follow ups or details (spring rate/dampner presure/actual performance)
But it did sound interesting so I researched a bit and found that spring/strut combo prices is close to (Auto Exe was actually more) than a coilover set. even if I go stock its about the same price (I need both spring and strut in the rear, springs have compressed, esp on left side. front springs may be good but they squeak like an old dodge truck).
So I said hell with it. an extra 200 is worth it. Found three coilove sets for the HDES/HD5S. JIC sf-1: discontinued, JIC sa-1: discontinued, KEI Office
te: kie office has stoped production.
Was getting depressed but found that GT Pro had some JIC sf-1 for the HDES. I placed an order last week but no final envoice, its starting look like they are out of stock.
If they are out of stock Ill still shop around, I hate the idea of spending over 900 on a stock setup.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You should look into buying from reputable people on VIPstyle cars if you are interested in a used set that or maybe even sumthin that can be sourced. I know there are a few members on that forum that live in Japan and ship hard to find items, even aero kits back to people in the US with postive feedback always. Its an option if your having trouble, but I say at least look into it if you are gonnna end up spending $900 on OEM set up. The Sentia/MS9 were popular in to modify, many slammed on coils, so there has to be parts still around. Is HE suspension the same ?...

Or you can put your trust in one of our Australian members who might have access to the manufacutres down there who make custom spring applications. I think King Springs maybe. I have read that you can order springs with custom heights and its been done before. Then again you can get custom springs made in the US too, all it takes is money.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello friends, any news on 92-95 shock replacements? im still looking for 4 strut shocks, my niner jumps like a cangaroo beyond 55mph, i got beaten in the highway last week by a 1994 626 with the v6 engine, i kept the pedal down until 80 mph, and then had to slow down and the 626 passed, so sad

regards

21 - 40 of 65 Posts