Mazda World Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
626's are a few hundred pounds lighter and also have a pretty nice 2.5L engine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
They also have alot more bolt-on's (w/Probe using same engine), esp. exhaust setups.

No, haven’t any luck.
The guy from GT Pro called me and said the reason JIC stopped their sf-1 for the hd was they were too stiff and breaking susp. parts. I think lower spring rate would fix that, so basically he’s full of shit, try'in to cover up the fact that their advertising parts that they dont have.

So I'm going to get new struts for the rear (big time priority), measure the springs and do the spring rate math and later get lowered springs. Or I might just cut them. Now for the front, thats a whole new ball game because I cant find front struts anywhere. I’m going to have to take one of mine off or get one from a scrap yard and take it to a suspension shop and do an insert. That sounds bad but not really, like I said, want to lower it and could use more dampening in the front, plus looking at the cost of the rear struts, if I found some front stock struts they would probably cost more than Inserts + fab.

Thought about the RX7 coilovers, but reading about the work the the HC guys had to do.... and we're just a few more kilos and taller than them.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The rear shocks that you found are basically the same price as the dealer accept you have to pay shipping. The online stores get a discount from dealers and thats why its lower. The deal with the fronts is the same dealers offer those. I would honestly recomend looking into a parts car sinc e you live in georgia and 929s in that state are like a dime a dozen. I really think we as a 929 community have progressed really far in the suspension knowledge and pretty soon we will figure out a reasonable fix. What i have in mind is shock inserts like you said ron, tokico and other suspension companies offer shock inserts and can be pretty mutch addapted to any shock housing. I really think thats the cheapest and most efficient way to fixing shocks on an hd. The only problem i see is getting the right length insert.

·
Registered
115 Posts
if a guy were to want to replace his front and rear shocks and springs and other suspension parts, control arms, bushings, sway bars, all of that shit...

would there be a kit available anywhere? or wouyld you need to source replacements piece by piece using measurements and shit...

·
Registered
330 Posts
A few companys used have coilovers but discontiued. No other kits. Piece by piece. Now the HC has gained a little popularity, so those guys are hoping...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Well like Ive mentioned before. If you HD heads are real serious about coilovers I bet some of the reputable guys on the VIPstyle fourms could source you a set. Robert lives in Japan and hes a VIP enthusiust. Hes been on the site for years and many people have been giving this guy mad props because he comes through on people requests most of the time, parts such as rims, body kits, exhausts, etc. for particular models he can find. You have to understand the VIP scene is HUGE over there. It also helps that the Sentia is a poormans Lexus. Ive seen tons of JDM Sentia slammed and they aint riding on cut springs, thats for damn sure. There are huge parts stores for the VIP market...

If your going to pour a grand into the suspension, then coilovers should be the minumum

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome to MW
Nice work!

That would be a good thread by itself for the tech info.

Have you test driven them yet? If so, hows the ride (stiffness)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to MW
Nice work!

That would be a good thread by itself for the tech info.

Have you test driven them yet? If so, hows the ride (stiffness)[/b]
the ride is just like stock struts ... thay have the same spec's as stock struts but its a shock...no diferance in the way thay r made just struts have spring plates, diferant lower mounts and a larger upper mount hints the need for the sleave that i added. ive diven this one for about 400 miles and down lots of hard roads here with no problems....

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum.
Great job on the fab work, its good to know that there are other fabricators out there working on their 929s.
I have a few questions whats holding the shock in the mount that you made, it seems like you said to pound it in there but i dont see anything besides that holding it in. So I'm guessing that there is no need to make a device to lock the two together because of the length of the sleeve. Another thing is where did you get 12 gauge tubing? the thickest tube I've been able to to get is 16.

Anyways it looks pretty good and fairly cheap if you know basics of fabrication. Maybe you can post bigger pics and better explanation here in this thread.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds good.
Just a few more questions;

How did the top part of the "sheild" come off

Did you cut off the lower mount of the monreo shock?

Did you weld the shock to the sleave? I know welding shocks is tricky, if not, is the fit is tight enough so they wont slip out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok the first thing is your not going to use 16g pipe... i used a 2 inch ex-pipe witch u can find at any auto parts store yes it will hold... the fors on the pipe is down the langth of the pipe and thats where it gets it strangth from... no i didnt cut off the bottom of the monro shock off i left it there so that the shock wouldnt go farther down other wise it would end up being to short... you need to cut all of the dut sheald off... DO NOT DO ANY WELDING ON THE SHOCK IT WILL POP IF YOU DO.. the forse will hold every thing to gether so there is no need to bolt in the shock in.. once you put the shock in.. it in and you not going to be able to get it out...do all you welding first then put the shock in...

·
Registered
115 Posts
who is this robert guy in the vip forums? im hunting for a suspension solution and a couple other hard to find bits for my 929... including some impossible to locate interior stuff and id like an overpowered alternator... (i need another 30amps or so, for the electric air horn going in and the stereo)

·
Registered
931 Posts
id be looking towards a Cosmo for an alternator

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have not took my fronts off to look at them yet, and it may need a differant monroe shock to do this with.so i dont know yet.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Just out of curiosity how come you didnt use a higher performance strut cartridge? Older cars used to have rebuildable shocks which you could swap out the shock my itself and use the housing. I know tokico makes shock cartridges for certain vehicles. THis is just a quick serach on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-STRUT-...sspagenameZWD1V

·
Registered
13 Posts
i was going for the cheapest way that this could be done for and this is what i came up with.. the parts i used should be able to get anywhere no matter where you live..

41 - 60 of 65 Posts