Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I proceeded to do the short shifter swap. And now I'm having a few issues sometimes it's hard to find first gear. And then sometimes it's hard to get out of first gear. Any idea or what I did wrong or what I could do to fix it? Maybe the ball joint isn't sitting in the hole deep enough or something?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so after tearing it all apart. I put in all new bushings and it works great. But in all reality it's really not much of a difference in the throw. Unless you keep it short and down low. I put an extension on mine and it's almost like I didn't do anything except tighten the loose and easy out of it. So In hind site I probably wouldn't do it if I would've known now what I know.

· Registered
195 Posts
A lot of times, that plastic cup is disintegrated and just the ball end of the shifter handle is left.......causing the slop that you feel in the shifter......you can see the plastic pieces laying in the trans in this pic.....

Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle Rim Gas

Automotive lighting Fluid Automotive tire Headlamp Hubcap

I usually replace the torn/broken rubber top plate that stays on the shifter handle when you remove the shifter......that part is nearly $40.00 though!

Household hardware Gas Metal Auto part Fashion accessory

Gas Auto part Font Electric blue Metal

Believe it or not......to install that rubber "boot" on the shifter handle, you lube the hole in the rubber boot & the shifter handle, and slide it down the shifter, and over the wide portion of the shifter handle! After you cut the old rock hard rubber boot off of the shifter handle first, of course!

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I replaced the plastic cup second time I tore into it. I re used the original but it broke somehow when installing it. It wasn't broken when I put it on. But like I said I'm not really impressed with it. I may just put original back in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts