Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this on some other Mazda sites, but this seems to be the only one where there is actual activity so I hope you can help.

My car is having a rough idle when I am stopped with my foot on the brake. When I'm driving with any pressure on the gas pedel, it runs smooth, but just when I stop at a light or something.

The idle sits around 700RPM (bounces slightly), but after a few seconds the engien will change noise, the RPMs will drop to under 500 and the car will shudder like it's about to die but never does. This happens at every stop and goes away as soon as I accelerate.

The check engien light is not on so I doubt the ECU is throwing codes, but how can I check myself? I've had the timing belt, drive belts, spark plugs (NGK) and wires (BOSCH) replaced about two months ago. The car seems to have good power, so I think all the cylinders are firing properly and the injectors are working. The timing is set to 12 degrees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds like the MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor)... im almost 95% sure of it.

If that's not it you may want to check your IACV (idle air control valve)

Do the problem also happen when the car is in neutral?

Check those things, and see if its it. I wouldn't worry to much, it could be as simple as a bad motor mount.

Well Good luck
-ChRi§

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MaxSpeedSE (btw, I also own a 93 max se)

The car does the same thing while in neutral. Would a motor mount casue the RPMs to shift and almost stall out the car like that? If it was the MAFS, would a code be reported - it did in my old ford, so i though mazda would do the same.

I'll check that stuff.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah sometimes the item is not completely bad, it just not working properly, The fact its still working dose not throw a CEL code.

and a yeah bad motor mount, could do that to your RPMS....you never mentioned if you were AUTO or stick...if your a stick, a bad clutch could be doing that.

Good to see fellow maxima owner ;)

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
I posted this in the Millenia section too to hopefully be of some help...
I was having the same problem on my 626, a while ago...rough idle and kept trying to die.
I took apart the Idle Control Motor and cleaned it all up because the spring was kind of sticking. That didn't work. Checked everything else out-the computer showed no error codes.
LISTEN THIS MIGHT HELP YOU GUYS!!!
I had a vacuum leak! The intake manifold gasket was worn out...
So, I replaced it - idles great again and the best part it was just a $10 fix instead of $495 for a new idle motor. You might look into that. Just listen-you can hear the hissing and even spray some carb cleaner around it and it will right itself.
Hope this helped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts