Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this truck with a blown head gasket and the head partially removed. I had the head re-surfaced and put the top end back on with new gaskets. The truck had been sitting for two years with less than a 1/4 tank of gas. When I first tried to start it, it caught immediately though it ran rough and started billowing white smoke and was dripping black fluid. I immediately thought it was oil until I smelled the bad gas smell. I then added 6 gallons of fresh fuel and after a few more tries it wouldn't start at all. I then pulled the fuel line off the filter to see if it was pumping gas. As I turned the key, the engine caught and started to run smoothly. It even idled and the white smoke started to thin out. I didn't run it any longer as the gas was coming out of the filter and was collecting on a rag I had in place to catch the gas and I didn't want to increase risk of a fire anymore than I already had. The fuel pump was working. When I hooked the line back up to the filter, it wouldn't start. Again, I pulled the line off the filter and it caught again. Hooked it back up and no fire. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought this truck with a blown head gasket and the head partially removed. I had the head re-surfaced and put the top end back on with new gaskets. The truck had been sitting for two years with less than a 1/4 tank of gas. When I first tried to start it, it caught immediately though it ran rough and started billowing white smoke and was dripping black fluid. I immediately thought it was oil until I smelled the bad gas smell. I then added 6 gallons of fresh fuel and after a few more tries it wouldn't start at all. I then pulled the fuel line off the filter to see if it was pumping gas. As I turned the key, the engine caught and started to run smoothly. It even idled and the white smoke started to thin out. I didn't run it any longer as the gas was coming out of the filter and was collecting on a rag I had in place to catch the gas and I didn't want to increase risk of a fire anymore than I already had. The fuel pump was working. When I hooked the line back up to the filter, it wouldn't start. Again, I pulled the line off the filter and it caught again. Hooked it back up and no fire. Any ideas?
Rusty fuel tank if been sitting that long. I got a fuel tank repair paint kit from the local auto paint dealer or you can get them online been a year now and I have also put a 10$filter before the main filter so if I have the problem again it only wrecks the cheap filter

·
Registered
3 Posts
any shop recommendation for this case?
[/QUOTE where r u in Aus qld? Either buy a good 2nd hand one from wreckers off a fresh wreck if car has been sitting dont bother. You could check fuel is not off and tank for rust aswell. At the time I could not find a good 2nd hand tank as this is a oomon problem in old steel tanks especially the bravo/courier tank. The screw holes in the top of tank that hold the receiver in also corrode. Thats why i just painted mine myself or if you can find one pretty much a car painter or car paint shop in your area should do the job for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have your tried to replace the fuel filter it might be really clogged
you need to replace the fuel filter and drain the tank. yes i know you put good fuel in it but you left the bad fuel in it so now all the fuel is bad. drain and flush the tank out then put new gas in it and put new filter in truck. you may have to flush the carb/fuel injector lines to get all the bad fuel out of the system hopefully you haven't fouled the injectors cuz they are not cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts