Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys...
I am wanting to do a stereo system upgrade and I think I can do most of it myself in terms of the new system. Basically, a new headunit like Alpine or something, speakers front and back, and an Amp.

My system is in a 1996 2.5 base Millenia. It is not a Bose system, it is actually a Panasonic system. Can anyone help me with a few things...
1) How do you get the double sized head unit out? Once out, what kind of mounting bracket do I need?

2) Do you have to take the whole door panel off to get at the door speakers? If so, does anyone have instructions on this?

**I read somewhere that if you pry off the little plastic covers on each side of the head unit it allows you to release the head unit and pull it out? I did take these off, and saw 4 little holes on each side , the same ones where the back of these plastic covers fit in to. I did push a coat hanger in them and it did feel like something releasing, but would I have to push in a wire in all eight holes at once to release the headunit? If so, how do you do this?

I think once I get the head unit out, I'll be ok. Again, this is a non-Bose system...any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
don't hold me to this but i beleive your unit is comparible to a ford double din, as that you need (well makes it easier) the removal tool looks like a small u-bolt, should slide into two holes on either side of unit and click into a grip which allows you to pull the whole unit out. a friend had just bought his 96 millenia and had me look at it. if you want to put a single din unit in there good luck :lol: they may make a dress up kit for that application but i'm not sure on that either ie scosche.com, metra.com. otherwise if you have a lil extra money and don't need a migraine try a double din. i suggest a new panasonic. reasonably priced and proven. i might be biased on panasonic, pop was a sells rep but i've had nothin but satisfaction from there product
hope i helped somewhat good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
You do have to push a wire in all 8 holes at once to get it to release. I could not do it with a coat hanger so I bought 2 sets of din tools. This link should help http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalMazd...daMillenia1.htm

And yes the entire door panel must come off to get at the door speakers. Do a search in the member pages for mazda millenia over at www.sounddomain.com and you will see lots of ideas. If you want a single din unit don't get the kit just buy the pocket from best buy or something to fill in the open space under the new unit. Not sure about double din units.

Heres a pic of someone that used the pocket method (found it on sounddomain.com) http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/vi...azda%20Milennia

Last edited by BigT at Oct 7 2002, 07:49 PM

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
when we took my deck out we only had one u tool thing... so we just did one side at a time, took a while. don't get a scosche dash kit. the one that they have for a Millenia is a universal for all ford and Mazda double din's and it doesn't fit flush w/ my deck. Double din's are kind of nice, but none that I've seen put out much power (hence djxsf's comment)... Only double din's I looked at put out 19 watts RMSx4. That's like my old panasonic deck, and compared to my new setup (very similar speakers w/ panasonic deck at 25 RMSx4) there is a big difference, believe it or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the great help and links...

I will try again tongiht, but the problem I had originally is that once the removal tools were inserted, and I went to pull out the deck, the tools came out, not the deck...do you have to pull it out by the cassette opening? sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

Also, once out, assuming I get it out, do you need any special mounting brackect to hold the new unit in there? I will likely use a pocket , what holds it in the opening?

(Maybe it will make sense once I'm in there...)

·
Registered
903 Posts
If you got that $$'s I would get an graphic equilizer in that open space. I think it would fit perfect in the milly, and eqs are soooooo cool.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The tool is supposed to get sorta caught and allow you to pull on them like a handle. I had the same problem with them slipping out until I got the din tools with the little ball on the ends of them. The ball helps because it gets caught and makes the tool less likely to slide out.........and the pocket includes everything you need to install it because once assembled it just snaps in place. The only thing you need to install the head unit (if single din) is the wire harness for the car. No extra mounting brackets are needed............It will be much clearer once your in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update...I finally got the head unit out and installed a single DIN Alpine CD player with a pocket underneath. (No EQ for now...)

YEs, once it came out it made much more sense. I also changed the rear speakers and to my pleasant surprise, managed to do so without having to take the back seat out. I just took the piece which covers the speaker and that center storage bin off (popping out the clips from the trunkside upwards, and 4 screws which are located in the storage bin.( 2 on each side) It just came right off. I put in some Alpine 6 x 9 2 ways. Now, I am debating adding a subwoofer and mount it to the underside of the rear deck in some kind of special box, which will look stock from the top of the rear parcel shelf/ I added a 4 channel Alpine Amp also, Now I just need to change the door speakers. I plan to put a two way component set in there which is the same series as the rear speakers.

HAs anywone changed the front speakers, and specifically, are there any special instructions or tips for taking off the door panels? I will have to make a modified baffle for the 6.5" round mid range, and I want to mount the tweeters in the sails (front lower corner of front windows) , but I will need to take off door panel first ...help greatly appreciated..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Curtsan@Oct 15 2002, 07:04 PM
Just an update...I finally got the head unit out and installed a single DIN Alpine CD player with a pocket underneath. (No EQ for now...)

YEs, once it came out it made much more sense. I also changed the rear speakers and to my pleasant surprise, managed to do so without having to take the back seat out. I just took the piece which covers the speaker and that center storage bin off (popping out the clips from the trunkside upwards, and 4 screws which are located in the storage bin.( 2 on each side) It just came right off. I put in some Alpine 6 x 9 2 ways. Now, I am debating adding a subwoofer and mount it to the underside of the rear deck in some kind of special box, which will look stock from the top of the rear parcel shelf/ I added a 4 channel Alpine Amp also, Now I just need to change the door speakers. I plan to put a two way component set in there which is the same series as the rear speakers.

HAs anywone changed the front speakers, and specifically, are there any special instructions or tips for taking off the door panels? I will have to make a modified baffle for the 6.5" round mid range, and I want to mount the tweeters in the sails (front lower corner of front windows) , but I will need to take off door panel first ...help greatly appreciated..

Thanks
I'll post up a technical guide to take off the doors in a few days.. wait for the weekend :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Nevermind, I took about 20 mins and just went and did it now. Removed my passenger door panel and cleaned it.. was very dirty anyway :)

The tech guide is posted for you by the way :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Shayaan, the tech guide made things easy.

I didn't quite get the whole panel off, but enough where I could work on and change the speakers. The last step where you pull up , and out a bit seemed like it stayed attached somewhere in the intereior middel somewhere. I didn't want to break anything, so I simply worked on it pryed open at the speaker area...was fine...Do you happen to know which color wires are positive an negative? If I remember correctly, there was a blue and a gray wire, so I took the gray to be negative, and the blue positive. (passenger side.) Will do the dirver's side tonight. thanks again.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
you have to pull the door handle like you are opening the door and kind of slide the panel off of it (assuming you are having the same problem I did :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts