Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '97 Mazda 626 LX, I've had it 4 days, and for 2 of those days my engine light has been on. :eek: I've been told by the dealer ship that it's the O2 Sensor. Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone have any information.
Thanks, you can e-mail me!
[email protected]
Jennifer

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yup, its not uncommon for the o2 sensor to go bad w/the 626. The 4 cylinder engine has two o2 sensors. The 1st or primary sensor is located in the exhaust manifold before the catalytic converter (is visible when you open the hood and look straight down, across from the radiator fans) . The secondary o2 sensor is located in the exhaust pipe after the catalytic converter. The V6 has four o2 sensors.
Since the proper operation of the o2 sensors is dependent upon good, clean connections; I would check that first. Second if you have access to a scantool, you can connect it to the OBD-II data link connector & it will give you the trouble code. If you dont have a scantool you can go to Autozone & they can check the code for you free. After you have the code I can tell you what the problem is.
Another option which I dont recommend is you can reset the computer by disconnecting the negative battery terminal & step on the brake pedal for 15 seconds. What this will do is erase stored operating parameters from memory which in turn will shut of the engine light (which is probably your emissions light since the dealer said it was the o2 sensor)
I did this a few times w/my previous car a 97 626 lX because the car ran perfect & figured it was a glitch with the sensor. The emissions light would'nt come back on for months. But if I were you I would play it safe & have the codes checked. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I have the same problem, there is no problems with the car but the light has been on and off for the past 6 months I would say, I finally took it to autozone and according to the code, they couldn't figure out what it was, so they told me the o2 sensor, but its $222 each and for them to GUESS is that, is too much money just to change it for the hell of it, if any of you are familiar with code P0421, this is what it means
"Warm-Up Catalyst Efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)." but i've looked on the web and many researchers have not found anything on this code, so if any of you know, please help... my e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a 96 626 4Cylinder... Thanks... oh, the nice girl at autozone reset the comptuter for me, but it came back on a week after :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had the same code on my 97 626 but it was jumpy when i would take off. autozone told me it was the O2 sensor. i kept messing with it and finaly found out it was the mass airflow unit it wasn't working properly and the car had no idea how much air it was taking in. i disconected the wiring to it and when i accelerated the car ran fine but would soon run bad so i used b-12 chemtool to clean it by spraying it into the inside of the holes that are in the unit. my car has ran great since without the engine light or studdering at takeoff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts