Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 MIllenia that is burning a lot of oil. Recently I changed my oil at 112,000 and now at 114,000 the oil is on the low line. There is no leaks around the oil pan, no leaks around the vavle cover, and there is no black residue in my exhaust tip. I really don't want to take it to the dealer because everytime the dealer touches the car there is something that goes wrong. I have talked to the corp office with no success about the poor service. The problem started shortly after taking it to the dealer for the timing belt and 90k tune up. Any ideals

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
if yours is an S model... you have a major problem that needs to be fixed soon. My S was leaking/ burning oil at some point and I basically neglected it. I had oil changes more than regularly (Jiffy Lube mentioned nothing of a shortage of oil, f*ck them!,) and I always checked the oil. The dipstick always showed low, but I thought maybe it was just really clean or oil or just something w/ the dipstick, because it was like that all the time. Stupid, I know. Long story short, engine burned out, $6,500 later I have a rebuilt one... but I haven't even fully paid off the car :angry: Get that shit checked out man anything is better than needing a new engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My friend said that I was misunderstanding the dipstick. The space in between full and low is only 1 quart. So last night I put in one quart after class and this morning I was sitting on full again. So I was actually buring 1/2 quart every 1k miles. I guess my next question is this expected with a car with 114k miles? I have the 2.5 Millenia by the way.

Sorry about the hype :blush: Just that it weird that it started all of the sudden.

thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have a 99 S and i got and oil change at my mechanic who i trust and have brought all my other cars to for years. after that i brought it to a good local dealer for a new O2 sensor, and they found a minor oil leak in the pan and at the oil plug, consequently had to re-change the oil. if you dont change your own oil, its best to get it done by the dealer, if you have the S model anyways, bc no jiffy lube guy is gonna cost me $$$. higher mileage cars burn more oil by nature, however, if you think its excessive, either get some synthetic stuff for higher milleage engines, or get it checked out. oil is basically the blood of your engine, any problems should be checked out immediately. good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts