Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post- I'm really happy to find this forum. They have been a great help to me for other cars. Currently I have a 99 Millenia (2.5) and this is my third one. I'm keeping it for a while and it has 30k - I'm looking at maintenance requirements to do myself. Here are the questions:

OIL CHANGE- I've heard there is a special tool for changing the filter-is this just a wrench or something exotic? It looks like the filter is reachable but tough to get at.

SPARK PLUGS- I was quite surprised to see that platinums are not supplied on this car and a 30k chnage is recommended. I took off a plug wire and it is an intrigueing arrangement to say the least. It looks like I can get at the plugs but they are in deep wells. Any tips on changing these and I was going to go with Platinums and would appreciate any comments.

THANKS GREATLY FOR ANY ADVICE AND HELP>

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
For both things, you need a good ratchet set.

The oil change item you need can be found near anywhere, pep boys, walmart, kmart... it's just an attachment for a rachet set that actually 'grabs' the filter. I actually just wear latex gloves and take them off by hand because it's easier.

As per the spark plugs, you need the ratchet with an extension and spark plug remover. You can take them right out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response-that sounds easy-anybody have comments on platinum vs. coppers for replacement? :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by bradj@Sep 30 2002, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the response-that sounds easy-anybody have comments on platinum vs. coppers for replacement? :)
Considering the price, just go for the platinums.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I believe mobil 1 tri-synthetic to be the best out there. However, whenever I change the oil in my turbocharged car it costs me 40 bucks with oil and filter everytime. And I'm betting the millenia would be about the same price. Castrol super synthetic or whatever it is, is still not 100% synthetic like Mobil1 is. I don't know if it's as good or not, but it couldn't be bad. You don't NEED synthetic oil in your car. No one does. There was a time when it wasn't around. It's a cleaner oil, so it might help to decrease sludge build up in your engine and you might get a little extra mileage out of it, but that's never been proved. Very slight horsepower gain has been found when using synthetic oil. I'm thinking it's because of the different viscosity, but don't quote me on that. However, if you have a leak... an oil leak that is, with conventional oil, and you change to synthetic, the oil leak will get about 3X as bad, because synthetic oil is much cleaner and so the slight leak can turn into a serious drain in a hurry. I've heard this, and found out first hand. If you've got the money and like to give your car the best, go for it. If you don't, stick with dino oil and be done with it. Who's to say the guy's car with synthetic won't blow up sooner than yours?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked with my dealer on some of the prices for maintenance and was told that they do not recommend platinum plugs ie. they have had bad experiences. Since the plugs apparently are easy enough to change, I'll probably go with copper and change them again with the wires at 60k. Probably change the antifreeze too although it is the long life variety.
I'm thinking about the tranny fluid and will probably not change it- the dealer also mentioned a fuel filter located in the trunk and (surprise) recommended changing it. I think I wait until 50 for this.
Any general comments or experiences on this 30k maintenance plan would be appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A 30K service... although I don't know the technical ins and outs of it, would just be changing all the fluids in the car, the plugs, checking all the belts for wear and just an overall inspection of all the drivetrain components. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I wouldn't worry about the fuel filter. It usually takes at least 50 or 60K to clog one of those up, and you'll feel when it's getting time. I've got 150K on one of my cars, and still on the original fuel filter and it still pulls mid 12 second time slips at the 1/4 mile. Now I should change it, but i'm just to lazy. I doubt 30K would need it.

BTW, I'm with the dealer, i'm a firm believer in the copper plugs. I prefer them over any of dual tri or quatro platinum type spark plugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts