Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my front spekers and tweeter (a Kenwood T-204 tweeter which hurts my ear when played at med level) and need suggestion. I'm driving all speakers with an Alpine MRV-F450, 50Wx4.
The two that I"m considering are:
Alpine SPR-176A, 200W max, Sensitivity : 86 dB/W/m or
Kenwood KFX-XR60p, 180W max, Sensitivity : 91 dB/W/m

The only major difference is the sensitivity level. Which one of this would sound better without hurting my ear :D

Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When it comes to speakers, the best person to ask is yourself. If I was in your shoes, I would go with the Type R. But that's just me. Go to a few car stereo shops and listen to each speaker's strong points and weak points. You'll find some are very good in the high end and others better in the low end. I figure you don't like the high end that much since it hurt your ears. Look for speakers that have a cutoff frequency responses @ 20k Hz, not the ones that go up to @ 30k Hz. Also, lower your treble. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
my personal opinion is to chhose a speaker that sounds natural vs others that sound bassie or the opposite too bright. So if It were me Id replace them with Boston Acoustic. both speakers you are looking at are around the 300.00 price range which would probably mean the speakers around your budget are going to be the RC series. what ever size you decide to get. But then again Boston is what I have in my car, so you could say im a lil biast. B)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alpine, hands down....there is no comparison in sound, build quality, or durability!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Nah, just go with Sherwood or Jenson................... :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am not that familier w/the current Alpine, or Kenwood lines, but if I remember correctly they both use metal done tweeters. These tweets will be shrill & make dogs go nuts miles away. If you want to keep from having your ears bleed, try to find a set of tweets that use a silk dome as the tweet material. My best advice is to compare two different types of tweets side by side & find one that is appealing to your ears. Try using music that has a lot of highs in it when testing, some good jazz w/horns in it is always good test music for testing highs. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
As always......Boston Acoustics

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by skiusa2003@Apr 7 2003, 04:52 PM
As always......Boston Acoustics
who sells BA's i can't locate them.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Just go to www.bostonacoustics.com

They have an information section with a dealer locator. You should be able to find someone through that.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by skiusa2003@Apr 11 2003, 01:37 PM
i think i'm gonna get a blaupunkt HU for my Si.....................mainly because it matches the interior very well - the blaupunkts are also pretty high powered stand alone.............thier RMS specs are excellent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts