Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seats are really looking tired, and the driver's seat has several tears. There is one tear I have to be careful of, because every time I sit in the seat it tears a bit more each time, and it now has the foam inside starting to pick out.

At this point, it is impossible to find a used driver's seat in decent shape.

Short of bringing the seat(s) into an upholstery shop, and spending some bucks to have them professionally recovered. Has anyone found any half decent off-the-self seat covers for the Millenia?

If so, please provide links.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
i have been looking for years. there was a chinese place on ebay, out of houston, i think. they claim to make a set of complete, in leather, and the price was quite reasonable. i cant find them any more, but they made covers for a bunch of cars. the supplier was out of china, and they had decent reviews, i think on one of the miata forums. there was another online place, but it was expensive. that is because they only sell a complete set. and lemme tell you, having replaced the seat heaters numerous times, getting the covers back on, especially the upright back, is a chore. if you do decide to install a cover yourself, you will need hog rings, and the best ones are from bmw. the mazda rings are stout, and your hands will hurt. i also bought a set of hi torque cutters and hog ring pliers, it made the job a LOT easier. a long time ago, i bought a new driver side cover, tan, off ebay. it was for a 95, and it mounts slightly different, but it was easy to make it work. the 95 leather was way nicer than the 99. double stitched, and the leather is glove soft. it is gorgeous. here locally there is someone selling a set of the ultrasuede from a millenium for 300, but the pics show the driver seat really dirty, so i passed. you might try this place:

Mazda Millenia Katzkin Leather Seat Upholstery Kit | ShopSAR.com

from what i remember, scouring the web for the chinese place would be worth it. try the miata forums, i forget which one it was, but i think there were a few owners who got them, and they were pretty good. keep me informed. i still have the tan cover i took out of the white car when i installed the 95 one, and it is still in very good shape. i will use it for the black car, the cover there is showing a lot of wear. the black car has grey seats, but we dont car, it is 16 years old, what the heck

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd be able to help you. Like I figure a bunch of us have, I've acquired something of a stockpile of millenia items to include a spare grey drivers seat in not too shabby shape ( tho with medium tear dead center along seam). I picked it up from pik & pull for like 50 primarily in hopes of getting a working seat heater. I'll have to take pics at some point if you would have interest. Maybe we could do a parts swap/barter if you might have any I might need. And while the shipping would ordinarily be very hefty for that rather heavy seat. I work in the package shipping industry and can more than likely get a healthy discount. Lemme know if you might want pics..

ted

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd be able to help you. Like I figure a bunch of us have, I've acquired something of a stockpile of millenia items to include a spare grey drivers seat in not too shabby shape ( tho with medium tear dead center along seam). I picked it up from pik & pull for like 50 primarily in hopes of getting a working seat heater. I'll have to take pics at some point if you would have interest. Maybe we could do a parts swap/barter if you might have any I might need. And while the shipping would ordinarily be very hefty for that rather heavy seat. I work in the package shipping industry and can more than likely get a healthy discount. Lemme know if you might want pics..

ted
having changed several seat heaters, i would never install a used one. it seems like the ones that came on the cars originally only lasted a few years. every replacement heater i have installed outlasted the original many times over. plus, the element is adhered to the foam, has sticky tape on one side. when you remove the old one, some foam comes with it, so it is no longer sticky. lastly, you have to remove a whole bunch of hog rings, and then reinstall them. way too much work to put in a used heater and then have it fail after just a short time. and a new lower element is around 50 bucks from tasca.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
today i picked up a set of the ultrasuede seats. i pulled the cover and pad off the 2 front seats, and to my surprise, the cover is glued to the pad. i know the 95 cover is also glued to the pad, but both seats in our 99's have hog rings. mazda must have been cost cutting everywhere. the rear seats are very nice, of course, but the fronts i think are trash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts