Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,

My 626 keeps killing the battery (I've had to replace it 3 times now) and now, the car just suddenly stopped while driving and some white smoke came from the hood. Some water leaked from somewhere but I checked all the hoses and there was no obvious leaks.

I also changed the battery but the engine will crank, but not turn over.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Sounds like your alternator for the battery thing....As far as the white smoke, sorry....hope you get that problem fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bryan!

I've fixed my other cars before, but this is my wife's. Is the altenator hard to change? I know sometimes these manufacturers put things in hard to get places - or worse need special tools.

I'm just wondering if it is hard to do myself.

There was also corroson on the negative battery terminal. Does that say anything?

·
Registered
23 Posts
as far as the diffuculty of r&rin(remove & replace) the alternator, if you say you wrench on the car and are somewhat mechanically inclined you can do it. if you question your ability i'd have it done by a professional. the water could and hopefully be condensation from the a/c. does it overheat or knock when running. if so get to the shop asap. possible irreparible damage can occur i.e. blown headgasket, water pump froze etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It hasn't made any noise at all, so far.

The A/C did go out a few months back but there has been no noises from that.

Hopefully I can find an altenator quick & cheap(lol). That was the first thing that I thought.

The radiator is empty but I can't find any leaks. I'm not sure what caused this either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i'm goin from what it sounds like and with out lookin at it personally this is just speculation(got to get the liability clause outta the way) ;) it could be the head gasket allowing small amounts of water into the combustion chamber. that would explain the white smoke and empty radiator. as for it not over heating maybe it hasn't blown to the extent that it allowed the engine to run dry long enough. either way white smoke is bad indication and if you allow it remain like this you may encounter some big probs down the road, literally. if you choose to do this yourself, which isn't hard but really involve process, i suggest sending the head(s) to machine shop to be inspected for warpage, cracks etc which can result from rapid cool down associated with the introduction of water on the hot head. i stress this though, rather than take my word for it and maybe waste valuable time and money have someone local and reputable take a looksee.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'll change the altenator so I can get it to the shop.

Any opinions on whether this is a good or bad idea?

·
Registered
23 Posts
without specifics on what shape the mazdas in right now not sure. but change out the alternator and get it to a shop thats relatively close. thats about all i can tell ya. hope it works out right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dj,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll let you know what goes down.

The car has only about 50,000 miles on it so I'm fairly confident there are no major problems.

The local Mazda dealership has some awefully tempting promos also. I'm debating whether to change the alt and just drive it down there for a trade. LOL

The only problem with that is the wife wants a mini-van. :angry:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sorry, one last Q.

About the white build-up on the negative terminal, do you think I should change the cable?

·
Registered
23 Posts
:lol: well if the wife has her way can i suggest the mazda mpv. "Luxurious designed minivan/suv/grocery getter, mazda ingenuity mixed with spacious interior makes for a perfectly rounded vehicle, whether a trip to the local Value Mart or up state for the kids soccer finals a gotta get for the new age p***y whooped hubby." :lol: j/k good luck on whatever you decide. chao

·
Registered
74 Posts
Before you go out and spend money on an alternator you should make sure that is the actual problem. I suggest you pull out the alternator and bring it down to a local autozone and have them test it.
With regards to the white smoke check your oil, if its a milky brown color, then you probably have a blown head gasket. Goodluck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the white stuff on the batt terminal. Get a batt. brush and clean the terminal on the bat and the terminal ends. Apply some wheel bearing grease on the posts and terminals ends. Not a lot, just enough to cover all everything with a thin layer. This will end you corrosion problems.

as for the loss in water, might check the water pump weap hole for leakage. It's on the bottom of the pump, lil hole. Might not see any water, however you will see lines where water was IF in fact it was LEAKING.

hope it helps...

·
Registered
57 Posts
The possibilty exist that your can might have overheated from the lack of water in the radiator and seized the engine. This might be why your car is not turning over when you try to start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts