Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from Mazda Press Release:

In just over a month since launch (May 20), Mazda Atenza/Mazda6 sales are already way ahead of company sales targets in Japan and Europe.

In Japan, customers ordered 7, 500 Mazda Atenzas by July 1. Combined orders for the two body styles, SPORT and SEDAN, have reached 6,000 units, which is 6 times the monthly sales target of 1,000 units for both styles.

In addition, the Atenza SPORT WAGON, which only became available on June 24, has already clocked up 1,500 unit sales. This figure has exceeded the monthly sales target set at 1,500 units.

Atenza, globally known as Mazda6, went on sale from early June throughout Europe, and has generated remarkable 30,000 orders mainly in Germany and the U.K. In particular, Mazda Austria has generated an outstanding order bank that exceeds the total annual sales target.

In response to strong sales demand Mazda has raised monthly production capacity for Atenza/Mazda6 from 10,000 to approximately 14,500 units at the Hofu Plant in the Nishinoura district (Hofu-City, Yamaguchi-Prefecture) since June. In line with the increased production, the company reinforced some facilities, conducted holiday operations, and hired some contract workers.

Commenting on this encouraging start for Mazda's all-new midsize Mazda Atenza/Mazda6, David Thomas, Senior Managing Executive Officer in charge of Marketing, Sales and Customer Service said: "It's a great start. Mazda Atenza/Mazda6 success is very important for our product-led growth this year. Our customers are telling us we are on the right track with the brand strategy that this car embodies, which is great encouragement for the other new products we are launching in the near future."

Last edited by Shayaan at Aug 31 2002, 06:24 PM

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dosent this model come with the Twin turbo 280 hp motor? I hurd talk on it, but im yet able to find anything on it.

Get back to me
-Chri§

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE@Sep 18 2002, 02:20 PM
Dosent this model come with the Twin turbo 280 hp motor? I hurd talk on it, but im yet able to find anything on it.

Get back to me
-Chri§
No, that's the MPS version of the car not yet due out. The MPS is the Mazda Performance Series cars, which will be produced some time after 2004.

However, the stats are impressive... I think Mazda is gearing up to get into the rally world with the likes of Subaru and Mitsubishi. The Mazda6 will be an AWD, 280 horsepower turbocharged four (probably the same aluminum four in there now), with a good weight distribution and signifigant weight loss from the car itself. So it will be a no-frills Mazda6 :)

That won't be out till at least 2005 model year though. Probably will come out with the next generation RX-7.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I donno...to me it still seems like there still one step behind... look at all the cars coming out with over 250 hp N/A The maxima it self for 2004 is going to be 4 wheel drive and over 270 n/a to the crank.

I think ALL the cars are upgrading. this is a whole new error for all the cars.

-ChRi§

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE@Sep 18 2002, 02:52 PM
I donno...to me it still seems like there still one step behind... look at all the cars coming out with over 250 hp N/A The maxima it self for 2004 is going to be 4 wheel drive and over 270 n/a to the crank.

I think ALL the cars are upgrading. this is a whole new error for all the cars.

-ChRi§
The price of the Maxima is also going to the 30-35k mark.

Anyways, I don't think Mazda is behind.. they have a lot of ingenuity and a FRACTION (like 1/100th) of the research and development money, yet they are producing some nice cars now.

Besides, Mazda has two claims to fame and neither of them are raw power (which Nissan does well), and that's handling and rotaries. Mind you, the engine in the Nissan is used in 5 or 6 cars, which is pathetic.

The money they save by putting the same engine in all those cars should result in a lower price or increased build quality, suspension, etc.. but right now all their cars are is fast in a straight line, and when a curve comes.. expect an underpowered Miata to glide through them more smoothly and easily.

That's why Nissan sucks, and that's why I hate my Maxima :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by Shayaan+Sep 18 2002, 08:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shayaan @ Sep 18 2002, 08:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--MaxSpeedSE@Sep 18 2002, 02:52 PM
I donno...to me it still seems like there still one step behind...  look at all the cars coming out with over 250 hp N/A   The maxima it self for 2004 is going to be 4 wheel drive and over 270 n/a to the crank.

I think ALL the cars are upgrading.  this is a whole new error for all the cars.

-ChRi§
The price of the Maxima is also going to the 30-35k mark.

Anyways, I don't think Mazda is behind.. they have a lot of ingenuity and a FRACTION (like 1/100th) of the research and development money, yet they are producing some nice cars now.

Besides, Mazda has two claims to fame and neither of them are raw power (which Nissan does well), and that's handling and rotaries. Mind you, the engine in the Nissan is used in 5 or 6 cars, which is pathetic.

The money they save by putting the same engine in all those cars should result in a lower price or increased build quality, suspension, etc.. but right now all their cars are is fast in a straight line, and when a curve comes.. expect an underpowered Miata to glide through them more smoothly and easily.

That's why Nissan sucks, and that's why I hate my Maxima :)[/b][/quote]
Nissan car's have sport suspensions, and can handle just as good as any other cars out there.. In my opinion. New models in 2004 will have 4 wheel drive. They are fast in a straights line's, and offers sports like performance, but yet has the room and luxury of a luxury car. and the car is not 35K that's if you load it with everything posable. they start @24 for the GXe
27 for the SE
23 for the 3.5SE Altima

Everyone is entitled to there opinion, and im a Nissan lover for life.. there is a reason Nissan is number one in Japan over Mazda, and its not because there over priced. Personally id rather own a Skyline the a Rx7 / Rx8

But thats just my opinon

Last edited by MaxSpeedSE at Sep 19 2002, 11:01 AM

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I think Shayaan may have jumped a bit too far on the handling - Nissans are pretty good in the turns, and they'll beat the hell out of my mom's '02 Camry.

However, it is a bit much to use the same engine (and even the same 3.5-liter displacement) in six models. Too much of a good thing, you know...

Under Ford's direction, Mazda is set to become a designer and expert in high-performance four-cylinder engines. That's why the Atenza/Mazda6 V6 engine is a lower-cost Ford design and not the old Mazda unit; however, Mazda (I think) is expecting a good portion of sales to come from the four-cylinder version of the car. Nissan, Honda and Toyota do the same thing, and their fours are getting better all the time.

There's been a lot of buzz about the Mazda6 here in the States, so I hope that translates into strong sales. I can't wait just to finally see the damn thing...

Duncan :D - 6 appeal

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you want to talk about the same motors in the same car...look at the mazda line up... if im not mistaken the Miata, Mx3, Mx6, 626...all have the same 4 cyl, and V6 motors.....

So drop the issue about using the same motors....Maybe othere car makers do it too...even your" Mazda "

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can make that 7 cars now :)

The Nissan Murano (that SUV type thing hehe) will be using the same VQ series engine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only the 626 and MX6 share the same 2.0 and 2.5L engine. The Miata and MX3 share a similar 4 banger, which I believe is a 2.0, and the 2.5 in the MX3 is not the same as the one found in the 626 or MX6. :blink:

·
Registered
329 Posts
???? And whats the big deal again about the cars having the same motor? who gives a $%*# :rolleyes:

-ChRi§

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have ordrered one sport wagon diesel powered and the salesman said to me that the budget for Italy 2002 is almost complete.
After 3 bmw's i have changed mark, and a'm very exited to the moment that i can finally drive the car

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Mazda6 deserves to do well - its a great car!

Fro the other side of the globe, the picture is a little different when it comes to Maxima v Mazda 6

The maxima is more expensive, starting at AU$37k

The Mazda 6 starts at AU$31k

You wont hear me disrespect Nissan, I love a lot of their stuff, but down here, with the prices so disparate, there is no comparison..... B)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Wow - Australia and Europe! Good to see the site's picking up an international crowd.

Duncan :D - join the worldwide Mazda party!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts