Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i'm a newbie. i have a 98 mil. recently had brakes job done. However, my brakes are squeaking out of control. Even when i'm not pressing the brake a sqeaking sound can be heard from front dr. side. any ideas? Thanks a mill :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Where did you have them done? Generally as a note, it takes about 1000 miles to wear in brake pads properly so they don't squeak, though some brake pads squeak regardless. I have the same problem, because of the type of pads I got.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got them done at a local shop. i understand even the more expensive ones squeaks on the mill. Is that true?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have slotted and cross drilled rotors that i picked up for bout 125 dollars on the front...with carbon Fiber semi-metallic brake pads....they never sqeaked and they stop bout 10 times faster than the stock ones....for bout 200 dollars you can get a brand new front brake setup....Just thought i would let u know!

Brian

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I got the squeaking noise from my rear right wheel. It gets pretty annoying. I might have a warped rotor, but not sure. Owell. Guess I'll pick up new rotors and pads. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check your brake fluid, it could have gotten low before you got your brakes done and now it could be low. That happened to me before and the squeek went right away after adding more fluid.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by MazdaSPEED11@Oct 2 2002, 09:29 AM
Try Disc Brake Quiet.  It'll keep the pads from sqeaking.
MazdaSPEED11 got it nailed. You need to put that gooey stuff between pads and shims and calipers. That stops the pad vibration during braking Therefore eliminating the squeel. I did my own brakes recently, used the goo, and there is no sound from the pads.

Last edited by Giedrius at Oct 22 2002, 10:04 AM

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your pads squek because they are cheap, thats also why you have to put the disc quiet goop stuff on. If you but quality pads (dealer pads) you never have to put the gooey stuff on. you paid money to have your brakes done right? so take it back to where you had it done, let them deal with it. if they cant get it right tell them to refund your money or tell them to install dealer equipment or better yet you go buy the dealer equipment save yourself the markup and give it to them to install. Most of these places offer lifetime replacement of their pads they can do this becuase the pads are so damn hard that they wear very slowly. Hard pads last long, squek, and warp rotors. Soft pads quiet and dont warp rotors. Befor everyone goes out and spends all their money on aftermarket cross drilled rotors you should check the specs on the rotors your buying (basically make sure the rotors your getting are in fact High Performance parts and not just parts for showing off). If the rotor is thinner than your factory equipment as most aftermarket rotors are then you are wasting your money (paying for looks), the brakes will not be stronger or stop you faster and they will have heat fade when getting on the brakes hard continuously although cross drilling MIGHT offset this. If you find some cross drilled rotors that are as thick or thicker than factory then great, buy them. If you cant find them, buy the factory rotors and take them to a shop to have them cross drilled. If you notice wherever they sell cross drilled rotors they give the option to buy brand X crossdrilled for $xxx or you can buy factory equipment crossdrilled rotors for $xxx more than the first ones. when you install cheap cross drilled rotors you may think that are stronger than your factory stuff only cause your comparing brand new stuff to wore out old equipment.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Sarsour makes good points... As far as cross-drilled rotors go, it's universally known that most applications really have no need for them. Think about it... yea you are in a big car and it can go pretty fast; but the brake system you have on there now is already good enough to bring you to a stop in a hurry. Cross drilled rotors are more for REAL performance cars; cars that you would see at the track where every second counts. Unless you enjoy driving around full bore and slamming on your brakes at the last second to avoid colliding with cars at intersections... why spend the money? And the people who are constanty "racing" around, needing their "high-performance" brakes for sudden stops... I have a question; do you not have anything in your car? Every time I have to slam my brakes I have CD's flying, cell phones flying, books flying, change flying, even subwoofers flying (box isn't secured, it's a temporary sub)... I slow down like a grandma because of this lol :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
BTW Brian that comment was not directed at you... I've seen your Milly and love it; I'm just sick of seeing honda civics with cross drilleds, or even worse, the FAKE plastic ones haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts