Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 90 b2200 with 110k on the odometer original miles. a friend of mine gave me a ford 302 with auto tranny with shift kit as well as a limited slip rearend. i have been searching all over the internet for info regarding this swap. i have heard stories and seen a few in person but when i need the info now... i cant find anything on it. if anyone has done this swap or knows of a web link that details the swap please let me know. i also have a very nice 902wd bed and 2wd fenders for sale (i bought 4x4 bed and fenders and swapped them out.) im in jacksonville, florida. if any one has info it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
jeremy
88 b2200 with shaved everything candy paint hydros and suicide tailgate
90 b2200 with shaved doors,tailgate handle,slammed on 20's..fixing to be on 22s and bagged...hopefully with a ford 302v8 in the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have an 90 b2200 with 110k on the odometer original miles. a friend of mine gave me a ford 302 with auto tranny with shift kit as well as a limited slip rearend. i have been searching all over the internet for info regarding this swap. i have heard stories and seen a few in person but when i need the info now... i cant find anything on it. if anyone has done this swap or knows of a web link that details the swap please let me know. i also have a very nice 902wd bed and 2wd fenders for sale (i bought 4x4 bed and fenders and swapped them out.) im in jacksonville, florida. if any one has info it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
jeremy
90 b2200 with shaved doors,tailgate handle,slammed on 20's..fixing to be on 22s and bagged...hopefully with a ford 302v8 in the front.[/b]
Im in the same position as you, I just bought a 89 Mazda b2200 bagged and boddy dropped 3" and the motor went. Now i bought a 302 ford small block with a C4 automatic transmission and a ford 9" rear end and I cannot find any information on how to do the swap. I no that Ultimate Customs in Ontario Canada did a 5.0L swap in Aprils addition of Mini Truckin, but that was 3 years ago.. I cannot get into contact with Ultimate Customs at all. If you get any information please post it I need to get my truck runnin!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you have the engine and tranny, then you need to fabricate custom engine mounts, and may need to cut away any sheet metal that prevents the engine from going where it needs to. A lot of this consists of fabrication. If you are good at welding and know how to use a torch, there really shouldn't be much involved. I have never done this myself, but I'm sure its just a matter of finding or building the right parts. When you finish this, please post what was involved, so the rest of us will know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
what about tranmission mounts? I bought my truck when it had a 3.8L buick V6 and a TH350 tranny or a T200 Im not 100%, Im not thinking the transmission mount that was used is OEM so im hoping i dont have to do anything with the currently tranny mount.. Im also told that the ford 302 MIGHT bolt up to the 3.8 buick motor mounts or maybe even slight modification.

Any info on the net would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
This is fairly possible, and if you can find this kind of info that would be great. However, most people who do these things keep their secrets secret. If you can get in touch with them, that is great, but getting a responce is the hard part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i dont have much to say other than you'll need a custom driveshaft, im planning on puting a 305 in my truck eventually and keeping it 5 spd.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Most B2200 I come across have small block chevys and I came across one with a 13b. Try Mazdabscene.com.

·
Registered
12 Posts
jeremy
90 b2200 with shaved doors,tailgate handle,slammed on 20's..fixing to be on 22s and bagged...hopefully with a ford 302v8 in the front.

Maybe i can help you with your problem i can find one if you want to swap some of your car parts and i also have the tailgate handle it also have the
tailgate handle cover if you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
jeremy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to this site and can't find any recent thread about a V8 B2200 swap, but I'm planning to do it, so I'll lay down some helpful info here for anyone interested. This old post talks of a 302 in a B2200, which I've considered since I have a 302 engine. Ultimate Customs once offered a kit for this swap, but I assume it must have been for trucks without AC, because the single hardest thing about a V8 in one of these trucks is the shortness of the truck front end! The only engine I can find that might really fit is the Small Block Chevy - with a short water pump. The short pump and pulleys are available cheap because they were standard on the older 283 and 327 engines, and you'll end up with an engine about 27" long, vs the 302, which is about 29". This is a very important two inches!
With either engine, a larger radiator must be frenched into the radiator support, but with an AC condenser there is limited space behind the grille. As I measure it, I'll have one inch between the radiator and the Chevy V8 water pump nose - only enough room for a flat front flex fan to bolt directly against the water pump pulley. With a 302, you'd have to lose the AC and move the radiator farther forward. However, there is an exception to this if you have lots of cash! Ford Motorsport makes a short pump and pulley kit you can buy for about $500, which would shorten a 302 to 27". I can't afford that, nor would I want a special water pump that I can't get at any auto parts store.

Online I have seen pics of some nice installs of Chevy V8 into these trucks, but none had AC. The HEI distributor will be very close to the firewall pinch weld, but one guy was smart about it and mounted the Chevy V8 as low as possible in the engine bay, which lowered the distributor to just under the pinch weld. It looked as if he had ground a semi-circle in the flange to give extra room, but did not eliminate it. The low mounted engine would also help with room in the transmission tunnel.
In another pic I saw a nicely modified front crossmember that kicked down a couple inches to clear the Chevy V8 oil pan.
These are the major hurdles of doing a V8 B2200. Once you've gotten the engine in place and radiator hooked up, everything else will be comparatively easy.
Astroman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts