Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was about to take the car to the mechanic, but the battery was dead. I hooked up the charger for about 10 minutes, and was able to start it and take it to the shop. Got it back Friday, was running good but today I went out to take her for a drive, and the battery was dead again. This is the first time it's done this, haven't had any trouble before.

My question to you experts is what should I check that could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Its most likely the battery since it was left drained for a while. Regular batteries arent made for deep cycles. Either way the testing is free at Advanced and AutoZone. Check to make sure the trunk light is turning off when you close it. If you leave the car sitting for days at a time you should also change the security light to an LED which draws less power from the batt when it blinks.
-Steven

·
Registered
756 Posts
change the batt for a new one and remove the security light and replace with a LED. I had the same problem replaced it with a LED and now the problem is gone.

·
4,952 Posts
Come on guys. One of my room light was left on for 3-4 days. My cars sits intact below 32F (0C) for a month, security light on and it start in a second in both cases.. You have some other problems like bad battery or some short..

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Saint's right, that 2-3 watt security light shouldn't be killing a battery. Your car has a drain somewhere in the system. Disconnect the negative wire from the battery and check the AMPS between the battery post and negative wire (put positive lead on cable, and negative lead on battery). If it reads anything above 0.5amps start pulling fuses one at a time (pull, and replace) until the drain drops to 0.5.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saint's right, that 2-3 watt security light shouldn't be killing a battery. Your car has a drain somewhere in the system. Disconnect the negative wire from the battery and check the AMPS between the battery post and negative wire (put positive lead on cable, and negative lead on battery). If it reads anything above 0.5amps start pulling fuses one at a time (pull, and replace) until the drain drops to 0.5.[/b]
Well, if I'm reading the multimeter right, it's about 1.8A. So I guess when I find a fuse that, when pulled, will take it down to 0.5A or lower I will have an idea of what's draining it?

Thanks for the help, I'll report back... meanwhile any other tips are appreciated. (Anyone know of what I can use to pull the fuses? I don't have a fuse puller, and I don't really wanna go get one right now.)

UPDATE: Hmm, now this is interesting. I disconnected my amplifier, checked the amps again and it read as ~0.4A. I connected the amp back, but it still reads at ~0.4A. Either I misread it the first time (it was really 0.18A instead of 1.8A) or the amplifier is no longer causing a drain?

In any case, the amps are now below 0.5A. What now? You think the problem is fixed?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Come on guys. One of my room light was left on for 3-4 days. My cars sits intact below 32F (0C) for a month, security light on and it start in a second in both cases.. You have some other problems like bad battery or some short..[/b]

All I did was change the security light to a LED and it solved my dead battery problem I still have the same battery. My wife left her map light on over night and it drained her battery and it was only a month old battery (red top optima). In the Protege5 when I first got her I couldn't figure out why the battery kept going dead , for weeks I was trying to figure it out untill I noticed the trunk luggage light was on (194 Bulb) , didn't even know there was a light back there untill I read the owners manual. It would kill the battery overnight , not completely you would get in and the starter would just click.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't know if anyone's monitoring this thread, but if so, does anyone know how to replace the bulb in the security alarm blinker (2002 Millenia)? It doesn't look like the bezel comes off from the front. Can't imagine how you'd get to it any other way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts