Mazda World Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
i have a feeling that the HD diff is very similar to the Cosmo one..

·
Registered
709 Posts
This is just to confirm that the torsen lsd from an FD rx7 is a straight swap into the HC. Fitting mine at the moment.

Also, if anyone has the service manual for a FD rx7 it was be awesome if you could post on how to set the backlash, or if anyone knows off head it would be good. Just never done much with diffs before... :hmmm:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
after installing the viscous FC unit, I will definitely have my heads up for a torsen diff next time...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thats right, not sure bout the import nines but i know the SOHC already has 3.9 and the DOHC has 4.11. Im assuming the rotary and 2L versions would have 4.11 also due to the lack of torque.

What ever your car has is what you will keep, your just changing centres.

·
Registered
849 Posts
make sure you do set the backlash right. take it to a professional if ya not sure..

as its the difference between ya diff lasting a long time or not.

if ya backlash isnt correctlyt set it will start chewing gears out. that stuff thats chewed out then goes through the centre and chews it out rendering everything useless if it gets bad enough..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ok, so just to make sure.

I will be getting a s4 FC clutch type. This means I will have to use the HC gears, correct? And just fit the CT-LSD to the HC gears.

·
Registered
931 Posts
yes that is exactly what you do.

·
Registered
849 Posts
if anyone is interested i just got another FD Torsen at a good price.

so if ya interested $450 and its yours.. (its sold)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Another question, does it matter if I get a N/a lsd? Or will a turbo II lsd work also? I know in FC's one wont work without axles and other garbage. So I want to make sure I get the right one.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mine was out of a FD turbo. If that helps.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Torsens get no love from me.

I need to know which LSD I need guys. I have one of each I could buy, but dont want the wrong one.

·
Registered
931 Posts
get the turbo one. The N/A ones dont fit. they are small and gay like Miata diffs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
NA/Miata don't fit?

shame GURU has unbreakable torsen for those :([/b]
The miata diff works in TII's, so I dont see why it wouldnt.

·
Registered
937 Posts
if it is then it would be great, this is the unit

fantastic unit (even sexier in real life)...

costs about 1500AU$ and life time warranty

·
Registered
931 Posts
well you did ask the question. From my experience its only the turbo ones that fit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
well you did ask the question. From my experience its only the turbo ones that fit.[/b]
Thats fine, but remember I came from building fc's.

You can use miata diffs in a FC with all n/a rear parts. But you cant use it with a car that has all tii rear parts.

I found a tii s4 lsd for 50$, sent him the money this morning :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
yes exactly what i was saying. The turbo and the N/A centres are not interchangeable. Therefore you must use a turbo diff in the 929.

Thats fine, but remember I came from building fc's.

You can use miata diffs in a FC with all n/a rear parts. But you cant use it with a car that has all tii rear parts.

I found a tii s4 lsd for 50$, sent him the money this morning :)[/b]

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've been doing my own research on LSD's because I'm going to have one put into mine when I start driving it again. The LSD from S4 RX-7 turbos (1986-1988) should fit all 929's, FD's, and some miatas. The s4 turbo LSD is an 8 inch unit. I assume this is the same for the s5 rx-7 (1989-1991). FC gears don't fit the HC that one we all know for sure. So at the moment if you want to regear your HC you need to source gears from the HC. From the factory, USDM models got (3.7, 3.9) gears on the sereis 1 HC's. 3.7 on the manuals only and 3.9 on the autos only. I'm not sure about the USDM series 2 929 but most likely it's the same.

Someone should post all the gear and diff options for the were AUS and JDM Luce. I know nine2nine said his car has 4.1 gears. So gear wise that means we have three options available 3.7, 3.9, and 4.1

If I posted any incorrect info some please correct me. This is just compiled info from notes I've taken while searching online. Also I'll have the info for what was available for the KDM Potentia.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts