Mazda World Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Cheers.

Not in a hurry, the 4.11s just aren't real practical for the highway use it will get.

So noone knows how to tell what gears it has? I guess if it had the owners manual in the glovebox it could identify which gear came with which engine.

·
Registered
931 Posts
you'll probably just have to pull the thing out and do it the oold fashioned way, count the gears. lol

im keen for a 4.11 ratio too.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thats quite crude, as it would be quite difficult to determine whether it was a 3.7 or 3.9 without a direct comparison.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Just reading, apparently the FD torsen is only good for 350-400rwhp behind a rotary. :grr: Im guessing with the additional torque and weight mine will prob be on the ground fairly soon.

Anyone know what aftermarket centres fit and from which rx7's?

This stinking build just keeps costing more.

·
Registered
937 Posts
there are alot of FDs in japan running standard torsen that goes well over 600rwhp

but there is an unbreakable alternative, GURU motosport diff (it is yet to be broken, life time warranty on that one)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I was reading this and apparently the older torsens were much stronger than the FD torsens.

http://forum.teamfc3s.org/showthread.php?t=17325

Apparently GURU only make lsd's for series 1-3 so far (could be my lack of research).

I wonder if the aftermarket drive shafts for the fc-fd would fit our 929's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey nine2nine I broke a FD diff center :lol: with only 200rwhp smashed the whole diff housing twisted the splines as well.
Now im driving on a 291000km open diff :lol:

·
Registered
709 Posts
hey nine2nine I broke a FD diff center :lol: with only 200rwhp smashed the whole diff housing twisted the splines as well.
Now im driving on a 291000km open diff :lol:[/b]
:grr:

How did you manage the axles? They are 30 spline and quite thick. The axles really concern me, as they is no easy fix for them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I only did 3 runs at WSID track.
The 3rd run was a 6000rpm clutch drop.
I think the diff went because on run at the drag strip it was wheel hoping badly but I kept on pushing it.
My fuel flap opens when I do a burnout!
your car should be alright stalling it up on a convertor is less harsh than high rpm clutch dropping.
you could maybe get the drive shafts cryogenically treated then case hardened.
I think the main problem is the rear subframe bushings though on my car. Im waiting on the stupid group buy to get into action

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yeah, axle tramp will kill diffs real quick. The more i read into torsens, the more it appears there are some weak ones around. Apparently the ones in the early supras blow their guts pretty quick too. I doubt being an auto will save it too long, as i plan on leaving the line pretty hard.

Was it in your 929 that you blew yours?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Pretty sure the guy with the 1jz 929 in QLD never had problems with his diff.

When i spoke to him on the phone he told me the driveline was fine running into the 11's

I wouldn't worry about the FD torsen breaking unless you like to abuse your diff...?

ill let you know how i go putting turbo v8 torque through mine soon :devil:

·
Registered
709 Posts
1jz929 was running a viscous lsd, which dont break, just wear out. Having seen the axles, im not too worried about them, just the guts of the torsen.

Looking forward to yours going, have you got a baseline run for it, or is work underway?

·
Registered
849 Posts
yeh unfortunatly axle tramp will kill any diff..

which is why im going coil overs and full nulerthane kit for suspension and body bushes.

ill be pushing 350-400rwhp so i want it right..

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ive hammered the shit out of my Torsen. Still going strong, admittedly not as much power as you guys but yeah.
My suggestion? If you dont wanna muck around with a Torsen, get an FC clutch type LSD and pack the clutch packs as tight as possible. Ive had plenty of mates putting 400hp through these.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Its not about shocking the diff etc, the problem is when i strap on a set of drag radials the guts of the torsen smashes. Wheel spin, etc doesn't load the diff very hard so its not a killer.
Even if this turbo doesn't do it i want to run 125mph and that will require a lot of power. I think a kaaz clutch type might eventually be the go. In the meantime ill leave the skinnies on :stickpoke:

81 - 100 of 100 Posts