Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster Hoping I could get some help or advice here.

I recently went to Mazda to get an oil change, tire rotation, and brake fix.

~ They replaced my rotors and brake pads. I noticed a day after the car would make a sound like a city bus stopping when I applied the brakes. (Not every time, about 50% of the time.)

~ Took it back to Mazda, they said the rotors had dirt on them, which they claimed to clean off. The sound continued happening.

~ Took it to another autobody shop which said it appeared that the brake pads were just a different material that's 'rougher' and the sound should stop when the brakes wear in.

The sound hasn't stopped.....any ideas?

·
Administrator
211 Posts
Yea I wouldn't worry about it. First off new brake pads do tend to make more noise before they get broken in. Also; I have noticed that the brakes on our cars are just plain noisy! I have mentioned it twice to my service department and each time they say they are fine. Brakes are simple to replace and shops make a ton off of it so if they are not replacing them then you know nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I wouldn't worry about it. First off new brake pads do tend to make more noise before they get broken in. Also; I have noticed that the brakes on our cars are just plain noisy! I have mentioned it twice to my service department and each time they say they are fine. Brakes are simple to replace and shops make a ton off of it so if they are not replacing them then you know nothing is wrong.

I totally get that but my brakes have been broken in already I’ve done over 100 miles once they worked on it. It shouldn’t be making noises every time I drive!

·
Administrator
211 Posts
I totally get that but my brakes have been broken in already I’ve done over 100 miles once they worked on it. It shouldn’t be making noises every time I drive!
You have had two dif. mechanics look at and both said it was fine. Its fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The better replacement brake pads often have soft metal in the pad itself. Here's a quote

"Metallic brake pads are comprised of anywhere between 30% and 70% metals including copper, iron, steel, or other composite alloys. These various metals are combined with graphite lubricant as well as other fillers to complete the brake bad."
The metal in the pads sometimes makes these kinds of noises. Hopefully after the pads wear in the noises will go away.
Yet another possibility is that some cars have little metal clips on either side of the pad to hold it in. These clips are not supposed to contact the brake disk. If not properly installed the clips sometimes touch the disk and squeak. If the sound is only coming from one wheel I might suspect this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts