Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I had a proposal for a b2200 with 200,000km for 3500€ and I would like to know what are the most frequent faults on this car, what should be foreseen or something else?

Thank you for your reply

· Registered
1992 Mazda, B2200 ext cab
33 Posts
The big issues with the Older B's is the rings getting gummed up.
this can be detected on start up with plenty of smoke, that will dissipate after about 5 miles.
This only gets worse unless you do a ring job.
The hydraulic valve adjusters give up and you get a lot of clicking. easy job to replace and not very costly.
The other big issue is the fuel tank.
They will begin to rot on the back side where the horizontal seam is.
It collects muck and mire over the years and it just eats away at the tank,
Crawl underneath and brush away the dirt, if its going you will see the infamous rust bubbles or rust pocks.

If your handy all these are doable repair. and there is plenty of eager help here to guide you through what ever you want to tackle.
What year B are you looking at?
Bobmo

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply

It's a 93 and the owner signs that the ball joints are squealing, I think they will need to be replaced and then look at the engine a little closer.

The hesitation is also where I come from often it is difficult to obtain Japanese parts even by delivery and often it is very expensive

I come from Reunion Island

· Registered
1992 Mazda, B2200 ext cab
33 Posts
Thats a tough call if you cant get parts, even the simplest repairs will keep you parked at the curb.
I'm not positive, but I believe the ball joints have the a plug in place of the zerk grease fitting. If thats the case you may be able to solve that problem pretty easily, by installing a zerk, and fill her with grease.
And the same goes for the upper control arm. Easy fix for squeaky suspension.
These B trucks are pretty easy to keep running, if you can get the parts.
In your case I'd check it over very well and try to get it as cheap as possible.
Good luck
Bobmo

· Registered
241 Posts
It's a 93 and the owner signs that the ball joints are squealing, I think they will need to be replaced.
The ball joints on the B2200 are bolt-in (not press in) so are relatively straightforward to install without any special tools.

I've had my 1988 B2200 for 28 years now, and have read online issues other folks have had. Most are simple, like issues with the easy-to-replace clutch master and clutch slave cylinders, issues with the electrical part of the ignition switch, the already-mentioned issue with engines smoking after a zillion years and miles.

I had the engine professionally rebuilt (block bored first oversize/larger pistons) on my B2200 three years ago because of smoking and oil usage, I'm at 240K miles now.

· Registered
1991 Mazda B2200
11 Posts
I had a 1987 B2200 for years. Sold it with 175,000k after I found a really nice1991 B2200. I used it a great deal and hauled many a heavy load with it. The only problems I had with it was the lifters got really noisy and I changed them out at 150k. It started using a bit of oil that was leaking down from the valve guides, at 160k. The compression was still good at 175k. Other than that, I changed the clutch slave cylinder and put a Weber carb and headers on it. What a difference the Weber made. I did have to change out the U joints as they started "pinging", but in all fairness I hauled some heavy loads in it. I serviced it on schedule and replaced some minor things. Was a great truck and the new owner was more than happy to get it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts