Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Millenia 2000 S with 215/50/17 tires. I have come across a set of 4 235/45/17 tires at a great price. Has anyone ran a 235/45/17 on a 2000 S? I checked tirerack.com and they state the recommended rim size for a this particular 235 tire is 7.5"-9", they also state.....

"Additionally, some vehicle manufacturers and tire companies have permitted rim widths that are not within the tire's original approved rim width range. For example: BMW has combined 235/40R17 sized tires on 17x7.5" rims (which are 0.5" less than the narrowest 8.0" wide rim listed for the size) on certain M3 models; and Chevrolet has combined P255/50R16 sized tires on optional 16x9.5" rims (which are 0.5" wider than the 9.0" wide rim now listed for the size) on certain Corvette models. While these applications have received the approval of the vehicle and tire manufacturers, staying within the approved rim width range helps assure that the tire's internal stresses are within its design parameters...."

The Mazda specs lost the 2000 S wheel at 17x7.

Does anyone have any comments or advice?

·
Registered
105 Posts
In my opinion, it is not a good idea to put too-wide tyres onto the rim. Yes, a 235 will FIT onto a 7" rim, but there may be a lot of "bagging"...

What I mean is that the sidewalls of the tyre will be angled "inwards" by about 1" on each side (a 235 is over 9" wide). And with a 45 series tyre that 1" angling is over a very small distance (make sense?) - it would be less pronounced on a 60 or 70 series tyre. The problem with this "angling" is that tyre is not supported as well as when it's fitted onto a wider rim.

When you begin to turn a corner the tyre will flex sideways until the outer sidewall is more "vertical" (where it is designed to operate). Then the tyre will begin to "turn" the car. This sidewall flex causes a sloppy, imprecise feeling in the steering.

Furthermore, it could be that the sidewalls being pulled inwards at the bead will actually "bulge" the tread area of the tyre - the contact surface may become convex and touch the road in a narrower band in the center of the tread. This will reduce traction unless tyre pressures are dropped to compensate.

From what I've found, you get far better handling using narrower tyres, then increasing the tyre pressure to force the center of the tread down onto the road. This gives very good feel and steering response compared to a "baggy" over-sized fitment.

On the other hand, the 235's are 45 profile, which will increase the steering feel slightly over a 50 series. So, the nett result of the change from 215/50 to 235/45 may be the same (ie: no handling improvement).

The advantages are that the wider tyres will look cool, and the bulge in the sidewalls will protect the rims from scraping on gutters :)

Just my 2c worth - JC

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It was very informative. I decided not to purchase these 235/45/17's. I will be getting new tires. I like the price/performance of the Sumitomo HTR +. The reviews this tire gets at tirerack seem pretty good and the price looks attractive, though there are many other good choices from other tire makers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very good choice with the Sumitomo tires. I have those on my millenia S and they are raves above those goodyear rsa's that came stock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm running 235/45/17's on my S. They look about the same as stock and don't come out over the rim. You will find a wider selection of that size tires compared to stock. They handle great with the Eibach Pro kit springs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just put on some 225/45/17 tires on my 2000 ME. That would keep with the correct diameter. Look into some Dayton Daytona ZR tires. They are cheap and are the same exact compound used in a the Bridgestone Potenza RE730's. And they handle like a dream.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Just get a set of "Ultra High Performance" Dunlop All-Season tires from Tirerack. The Dunlops perform great and aren't to expensive either. Tread-life on the new "UHP" Dunlop All-Season tires are great, since they improved the rubber compound on thier A/S series tires.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
You should've gotten them! I love my 235-45-17 Nitto NT-555 Extremes!!!!!! I can take soooooo many corners that I couldn't with the stock Dunlops. They don't "bag" at all... well not more than the stock tires did... I think it looks perfect, and it'll be even better when the car is dropped. I've noticed no rubbing either... Tire Rack told me that this size would rub whenever I turn the wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts