Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to give my Tribute a nice wax before the summer. Any suggestions on a good wax and maybe techniques?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah I agree with the "by-hand" advice. If you don't know how to use an eletric polisher you can burn through the clearcoat quite easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i would also suggest the "by-hand" method, it's a little workout, but the shine of your cars paint will make it all worth it. as far as wax i would recommend using any kind of 100% carnauba paste wax. not that carnauba blend crap. make sure it says 100% carnauba. and make sure you buy about 3 or 4 chamoise clothes. man you talking about a shine, that chammy will have that car shining like glass

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
If it's been a while since you've waxed your car, be prepared for the premium carnauba wax to be really difficult to buff off. Do just the hood by hand an see how much energy you have left because the hood is the easiest part of the car. Just wait until you get to those vertical surfaces like the doors.

If you want convenience, there used to be this car wax called DuraShine that was originally sold in an infomecial about 10 years ago. Haven't seen it around recently, but it wiped on by hand like regular wax and sprayed off with a strong garden hose or high-pressure car wash at a moderate distance. It eliminated water-beading on the paint surface so you don't have to dry your car after a wash and it stayed clean when it rained. Didn't last as long as a premium wax in the elements, but for how easy it was to apply and remove, I didn't mind doing it once every couple of months to maintain its "water sheeting effect". I guess the popularity of spray-on waxes (which never worked as well IMO) may have killed it off?

Wal-Mart and AutoZone used to sell it but it has mysteriously disappeared from the shelves around here. Everything else is difficult to remove and the water beading effect the carnuba waxes have leaves hard water stains all over the car with any amount of moisture.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i suggest insulator Marine wax Works great.. Work it in with ur hand dont use machine the results are better by hand[/b]
thats a false statement. I bet you $$$$ i can get better results with my porter cable.

Look at this site.
www.poorboys.com

they are great company and all there products are awesome. My personal choice is PWC, Natty's Blue and the SSR Lines. PLus there Quik Detailer is awesome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Meguiars Products are awesome.
Go for the Wax, Polish, Wheel Cleaner, and anything else.

Also Mother's products are good too.

·
Registered
641 Posts
JUST DONT GET ICE I AINT LIEK THE WAY IT CAME OUT ON MY CAR

·
Registered
284 Posts
JUST DONT GET ICE I AINT LIEK THE WAY IT CAME OUT ON MY CAR[/b]
Ice smells like banana's too haha ..

TheFuzz, Meguiar's waxes and cleaners are awesome, along with Mother's too.. I usually use Meguiar's Clay Bar kit, then mother's cleaner wax, and finish it of with Meguiar's NXT wax.. Comes out shiny as fuck.. For you tires I'd suggest Mqguiar's Endurance gel, it comes in a box with an applicator.. Its the only tire gel i've used so far that doesn't "sling" or "run" .. It's not oily either it gives the tires a nice deep gloss and lasts a realllyyyy long time too, I've gone 2 or 3 washes wihtout even having to re-applicate.. shits good

·
Registered
52 Posts
if you want something for the winter i would recommend going with duragloss 105. Its a sealant and then the next day apply the duragloss aquawax. both really easy to apply and i guarantee you wont get a better shine out of anything else!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
if you want something for the winter i would recommend going with duragloss 105. Its a sealant and then the next day apply the duragloss aquawax. both really easy to apply and i guarantee you wont get a better shine out of anything else!!![/b]
Great suggestion.. don't forget to clay bar the paint

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Anyone recommend a good wax for my car until I paint it since I barely have clearcoat left on the car? I can wax and wax for three days straight and where there isnt clearcoat I get nothing. I know its kind of stupid to shine with no clearcoat but still want to make it look good until I paint it.
-Steven

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used Colonite. I have used it for years. Yes it does water-bead but I'll take protection over looks anyday during the winter. A little goes a long way with Colonite which is at Harbour Freight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone recommend a good wax for my car until I paint it since I barely have clearcoat left on the car? I can wax and wax for three days straight and where there isnt clearcoat I get nothing. I know its kind of stupid to shine with no clearcoat but still want to make it look good until I paint it.
-Steven[/b]
Use rubbing compound then give it a good coat of wax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use rubbing compound then give it a good coat of wax.[/b]
I haved used Turtle Wax ICE.I've used many products over the years.Ice for me is the best.Do the whole vehicle,let it dry well.Buff off,looks great and lasts as long as any thing else.A little more expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
My car wax causes silicosis and must be applied in a well ventilated area. It goes on and comes off easily. No multi-step process, just multi-step results. Wax on, wax off. Looks better and lasts longer than any car wax available locally. It's called Malco Enhancer and available in 1 gallon containers for $50 plus shipping. B)

·
Banned by Goliat6288
3,866 Posts
My car wax causes silicosis and must be applied in a well ventilated area. It goes on and comes off easily. No multi-step process, just multi-step results. Wax on, wax off. Looks better and lasts longer than any car wax available locally. It's called Malco Enhancer and available in 1 gallon containers for $50 plus shipping. B)[/b]
is it me or do you always go with the industrial good stuff?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts