Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2000 Millenia S model.

I've been away from my car for a while, but my roommate has been starting it every few weeks for me without problem.

Tonight I tried starting my car for the first time and it gave me the traditional dead battery signs- tried to start, but couldn't quite make it, and dimmed lights etc etc. I knew the battery was crap, so I decided to go and buy a new one. So there's a brand new battery in the car, fully charged, and it won't start.

Sometimes when I put the key in the ignition the car acts as though the battery is fully charged- the lights, headlight and radio all work fine but other times Ill put in the key and there will be no power to these devices. So I figured I'd try to boost it, I did so, and then I drove it for around 20 minutes, turned it off, and had the same problem occur. Boosted it again, drove fine, electrical worked fine but then when I turned it off I started getting this weird erratic behavior from the electrical system. The other thing I noticed is that with the key out of the ignition there's a clicking noise that will *sometimes* happen for about a minute coming from under the hood. By ear I think Ive located it to something just barely above the fuse box. Putting my finger on it it feels like a little solenoid is pulsing.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
355 Posts
First thing to do is check ALL battery connections for tightness and cleanliness.Not only at the battery,but the other end of the cables too.Check for loose feed lines coming into the source of the noise........

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'd say there is a loose connection somewhere - probably at the starter though.

That buzzing or vibration you are feeling is probably just a relay that is acting erratic due to low voltage problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I've been away from my car for a while, but my roommate has been starting it every few weeks for me without problem.

Tonight I tried starting my car for the first time and it gave me the traditional dead battery signs- tried to start, but couldn't quite make it, and dimmed lights etc etc. I knew the battery was crap, so I decided to go and buy a new one. So there's a brand new battery in the car, fully charged, and it won't start.

Sometimes when I put the key in the ignition the car acts as though the battery is fully charged- the lights, headlight and radio all work fine but other times Ill put in the key and there will be no power to these devices. So I figured I'd try to boost it, I did so, and then I drove it for around 20 minutes, turned it off, and had the same problem occur. Boosted it again, drove fine, electrical worked fine but then when I turned it off I started getting this weird erratic behavior from the electrical system. The other thing I noticed is that with the key out of the ignition there's a clicking noise that will sometimes happen for about a minute coming from under the hood. By ear I think Ive located it to something just barely above the fuse box. Putting my finger on it it feels like a little solenoid is pulsing.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.
By cleaning your battery terminals, you can actually help the car ... Pop open your hood and remove the negative battery cable first.

First thing to do is check ALL battery connections for tightness and cleanliness.Not only at the battery,but the other end of the cables too.Check for loose feed lines coming into the source of the noise......

Sometimes when I put the key in the ignition the car acts as though the battery is fully charged- the lights, headlight and radio all work fine but other times Ill put in the key and there will be no power to these devices. So I figured I'd try to boost it, I did so, and then I drove it for around 20 minutes, turned it off, and had the same problem occur. Boosted it again, drove fine, electrical worked fine but then when I turned it off I started getting this weird erratic behavior from the electrical system. The other thing I noticed is that with the key out of the ignition there's a clicking noise that will sometimes happen for about a minute coming from under the hood. By ear I think Ive located it to something just barely above the fuse box. Putting my finger on it it feels like a little solenoid is pulsing.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.
If you suspect the circuit, look first at the battery-terminal connections. ... the current cannot flow through them properly - and sometimes not at all.
By cleaning your battery terminals, you can actually help the car ... Pop open your hood and remove the negative battery cable first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts