Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem on my 1987 b2200 carbed.

I had the carburetor completly rebuilt and now its back in the truck. but when its on low idle, there is as much as 500RPM variation. it goes up and down and up and down. I try to get the idle speed higher but the problem stays, any ideas what it could be?
(also I have a lifter tick on my BRAND NEW LIFTERS)

L.Leblanc

·
Administrator
117 Posts
Sounds like it needs a tune from an "old school" mechanic that is used to working on carburated cars. Most young mechanics these days only know fuel injection systems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it needs a tune from an "old school" mechanic that is used to working on carburated cars. Most young mechanics these days only know fuel injection systems.
So I got this problem fixed, the timing wasn't perfect, but now I need to fix the problem with my ticking lifter. I had some brand new lifters and a brand new cam, wich I broke in, (2500RPM for 20min)
Is there a way to change the lifter without having to take off the entire rail?

·
Administrator
117 Posts
So I got this problem fixed, the timing wasn't perfect, but now I need to fix the problem with my ticking lifter. I had some brand new lifters and a brand new cam, wich I broke in, (2500RPM for 20min)
Is there a way to change the lifter without having to take off the entire rail?
How would you get to it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it spring based?
I think so, There is a vacuum operated diaphragm that opens the valve. I checked it and the valve is working fine. But I have every symptom of a stuck open EGR valve. When I start it cold, there is no problem, The idle works fine but when the engine is all warmed up, when I press on the clutch it stalls. I have to do 2 full turns to get to a rough idle speed of 1000(keep in mind that the idle speed was already adjusted before). normally there is a purge solenoid that relieves the vacuum on the EGR valve when you decelerate. Im thinking that maybe this solenoid doesn't work and my valve stays open.

·
Administrator
117 Posts
Welp, it sounds like you need to do the old "replace parts until it ain't broke" fix.

·
Registered
48 Posts
now I think the EGR valve is getting stuck open
You could pull off the EGR valve - three 6mm bolts so 10mm socket, vacuum hoses, and electrical connector - and fill the cavity with water, to see if water leaks through. Or make a simple block off plate from 3/16 or 1/4 inch steel or aluminum; the photo below shows a block off plate with a "pecker" and hole for use with an aftermarket Weber carb (EGR not used with Weber). Yes, I did have the stalling issue due to partially stuck-open EGR on mine when I had the stock carburetor.

If your EGR valve is actually stuck open, those can be cleaned out so they work. Or I have two used EGRs that do work, reasonable; make offer if interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts