Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with changing the tape player for a CD player in an 88 929? Mine has the factory equalizer, AM/FM/cassette unit. Crutchfield lists a whole bunch of 'compatible' CD players, but what's involved with the swap? :mellow:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Is it a double-din or single din unit?

You can probably mod a number of head units to get in there... if you have a pic I could tell you better.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what the wiring harness looks like, but my problem is really a question of fit first. The unit measures 7 1/8" wide, 4 3/4" top to bottom. The tuner/cassette section is 2 3/4" high, and the equalizer section right below is 2" high. The whole thing is probably about 6" deep, but I can't measure this without removing it. I don't know if the tuner/cassette can be separated and replaced with a tuner/CD unit, then wired into the equalizer, or whether the entire unit must be replaced, possibly with another Mazda unit?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your input. I consulted the dealer, who let me browse his shop manual, and it states very emphatically that the unit cannot be disassembled to just replace the radio/cassette part. The entire unit would have to be replaced. Given the oddball size, I'll either forget it, or hope to get lucky and find a unit that they made for the 89 929. It comes with AM/FM/Cassette and CD!
HTML:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I recently changed mine to a high end Pioneer one, its a single DIN, all I did was buy the wiring harness and the mounting kit ($45 can.) and I put it together myself, about 2 hours after I figured it all out, dont put a stock Mazda deck back in

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did you deal with the sub-woofer/deck speakers? I had a hell of a time with the wiring diagram on mine. In the end, I bought a small portable player with cassette adapter. Haven't tried it yet, but for the odd time I might go out of town on a trip, which is the only time I'd bother using the CD player anyway, this was the best choice for me.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Im running 4 JL Audio 4" 2 ways (the ones in the dash and the back doors) of my Pioneer deh7300. I left the rear 6.5 (subs) out for now but I have plans get some JL Audio coaxils and amplify them

where in Canada are you ?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in New Brunswick. If your 929 came with factory CD player, there should be a sub-amp under your dash, connected to the rear shelf speakers. If it came with a cassette, the amp is somewhere at the rear, maybe behind the back seat.

My problem was with the input to the sub-amp in the rear (like mine). I figured it would either a high-level off the speaker leads, or low-level, off the unit itself. My sub-woofers/amp setup, in stock form, is awesome for the size, and I didn't want to lose it by mucking with the wiring from an aftermarket drop-in, mainly due to the unknown of what the input to the sub-amp should be.

By the way, I have all the diagrams and pictorials ever published on the sub-unit and the original CD/tuner/cassette and cassette/tuner/equalizer if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
New Brunswick huh ? Im in Vancouver and Im gonna be moving out to Halifax in July or Aug., Im takin my 929 with me. How does your 929 handle the weather out there ?? salt ??

The premium system does have amp under the front dash, right near the right speaker and the amp in the back is located just behind the cover for the back seats, its accesible from the trunk. I didnt have this system, mine came with a tape deck only, I would ask a professional car audio person if your still stumped.

I have the shop manual

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah Hah, behind that carpeted cardboard panel at the rear of the trunk! I thought so, but it's a bitch to remove, so I left it alone.
Re. your inquiry about salt, brace yourself, because it's a real metal-eater here. This is the first winter for this car (for me). I've only had it since April '02. It sat over a grassey patch for 3 years before I got it, so the entire underside needed sandblasting, paint, and undercoat. I shot a bunch of penetrating oil/lube called 'Fluid Film' all over everything too. Great stuff! I won't know what the winter salt has done until mid-April when it's on the hoist for inspection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts