Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys and gals I need a little help. Does anyone know how to remove the center storage compartment between the two front seats of a 98? I am asking this because I want to install my cd changer in there because I want to begin doing a stealth stereo install for my trunk. Another option is the glove box but I was planning on putting my x-over in there.

thanx in advance

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a Australian 94 "S" (Eunos 800M)

There are no visible screws etc inside the center compartment, and the previous owner had damaged it attempting to get the inside liner out.

I finally worked it out the other day, it's easy on my model... The liner is retained by 4 moulded "clips (tags) that press outwards into 4 slots in the main center console (it's hard to explain).

Get a couple of WIDE bladed (but blunt) tools like a butter or dinner knife. Very carefully slide the tool down the side of the liner (between the soft vinyl of the center console and the hard plastic liner). Do NOT force it, and if you want to be really careful use a cloth to protect the plastics so they don't get dents in them...

The tool should be positioned about 1 inch back from the front corner (of either side). Slowly lever the tool so that it presses the inside of the liner inwards, so that it bows the side inwards a bit. At the same time, apply finger pressure from the inside and "lift" the liner up at that corner - this will release the (hidden internal) clip on the side and it will come up about 1/8 inch.

While ensuring that your first corner doesn't pop back down again, use another tool and do the same action at the other front corner. You now should have the front edge of the liner up about 1/4 inch.

Repeat the same again for the 2 rear corners, which are also on the sides about 1" forward from the back (hinge) end. When the 4 clips are released the liner will slide straight upwards and come out. DO NOT USE FORCE - it comes out really easily !

Once the liner is removed, you get access to the screws that hold the other parts of the center console down too (eg: handbrake surrount, gear shift cover).

I hope your model is the same as mine !

John C

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, It is very possible that my model is like yours because once I removed the felt liner at the bottom there was no visible screws, clips, etc. I'm going to try what you said this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts