Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RX-8's new redline is at 9000, warning buzzer goes off at 9500. The max is 10,000 RPMs!

I can't wait :wub:

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
I really like the spedo....its digital underneath the RPM gauge right?? Thats tight!! :eek:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Not too fond of that whole gauge cluster... i especially dont like that digital speedometer... how gay... reminds me of the guage cluster on the new altima and the IS300... maybe its a cross between them?

how often is it that ure really gonna go into redline on a regular basis and not break the car? unless its a lease car

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3@Nov 12 2002, 08:37 PM
how often is it that ure really gonna go into redline on a regular basis and not break the car? unless its a lease car
After the breakin.. every time :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
arent we talkin bout the guage cluster anyways? not too fond of its look, esp that digital crap -_-

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3@Nov 12 2002, 09:18 PM
arent we talkin bout the guage cluster anyways? not too fond of its look, esp that digital crap -_-
I'll get used to it. No biggie.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3@Nov 12 2002, 08:37 PM
Redline is healthy for a rotary, as long as you actually do your proper maintenance.

Actually if you baby a rotary, and never go above 4k, you're more likely to lose the engine than if you hit redline once a day every day.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Kaneto+Nov 13 2002, 01:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kaneto @ Nov 13 2002, 01:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Eternal TL2k3@Nov 12 2002, 08:37 PM
Redline is healthy for a rotary, as long as you actually do your proper maintenance.

Actually if you baby a rotary, and never go above 4k, you're more likely to lose the engine than if you hit redline once a day every day.[/b][/quote]
I stand affirmed :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Originally posted by Shayaan+Nov 13 2002, 01:37 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shayaan @ Nov 13 2002, 01:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2002, 01:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--Eternal TL2k3
@Nov 12 2002, 08:37 PM

Actually if you baby a rotary, and never go above 4k, you're more likely to lose the engine than if you hit redline once a day every day.
I stand affirmed :)[/b][/quote]
are any of u mechanics to say this? how many rx7's do u see on the road... lets hope that the rx8 stands out for a longer period of time

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3+Nov 13 2002, 11:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eternal TL2k3 @ Nov 13 2002, 11:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2002, 01:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--Eternal TL2k3
@Nov 12 2002, 08:37 PM

I stand affirmed :)
are any of u mechanics to say this? how many rx7's do u see on the road... lets hope that the rx8 stands out for a longer period of time[/b][/quote]
The last RX-7 was made in '93 in the US, with a distribution of about 10,000 cars in the US. Given that there are 290 million+ people in the US, yea you don't see one every day.

Go to RX7Club.com and ask, there's 20,000+ people that will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3@Nov 13 2002, 11:11 PM

are any of u mechanics to say this? how many rx7's do u see on the road... lets hope that the rx8 stands out for a longer period of time
Am I a certified mechanic? No. Have I been working on all my own cars as long as I've been driving? Yes. Trust me, one doesn't always need to be a certified mechanic to know how and engine works. This is especially true with the rotary. The majority of mechanics I've met knew next to nothing about how a rotary works.

That aside, here's a little explanation.

The rotary engine has apex seals (on, guess what... the apexes of the rotary). Just like any other seal in an engine, these seals need to be lubricated. The rotary accomplishes that by injecting motor oil into the combustion chamber. Spinning the rotaries faster, or revving the engine high into the rpm band, helps to better distribute this oil. This isn't a guess... it's been seen many times. When you baby the car and don't rev it enough, that oil will start to leave carbon deposits on the housing. I'll let you figure out what happens when carbon deposits build up enough on the walls of the housing.

Now, as far as the number of rotaries on the road, it's pretty easy to see why. The average person is pretty stupid when it comes to car maintenance. People constantly neglect their cars, or don't pay attention to the factory maintenance specs. They drive 5k+ miles without changing their oil. They never check their oil when filling up. They have their thermostat changed once a millenia. etc.

A piston engine can usually withstand this kind of neglect and struggle on. I've seen a piston enigne that basically had black sludge for oil (wasn't changed once in like a 5 year period). It was heavily abused, regularly running past redline. Basically the owner was trying to kill the car... but it just kept on running. It would start in sub-freezing temperatures. Even when the car eventually died, from having a strut tower rust through the fenderwell, the engine still worked.

This would never happen with a rotary. You simply cannot neglect the maintenance on a rotary engine. If you run out of oil (which will happen if you don't check it regularly and change it regularly, as the engine eats oil as part of its normal function), the rotars will seize in the housing. If your thermostat or coolant fails, you'll bake your seals, causing them to break apart, which will score the hell out of the rotars and housing. I've seen an engine where a small chuck of apex seal was lodged into the side of the housing and cut a quarter-inch deep groove into all three apex of the rotar.

Rotaries are rare because people don't know how to take care of them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
too long of a post for me to reply... but how are u SOON to own older rx7s and the 03 rx8... u rich?

·
Registered
53 Posts
No, I just work hard for my money, and spend that hard-earned money on the things I love.

I already own one of the RX-7s. The 85 I'm looking for a stock one in the $3000 range or less (RX-7s aren't exactly high resale value cars). I'm not in any hurry to buy it, so I have plenty of time to look for the right deal. As for the RX-8, I plan on trading in my 00 Civic, plus at least 10% deposit, and then finance the rest.

·
Registered
517 Posts
if u already have one 87 rx7, why are u going to buy another? thanks for clarifying all other points though

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3@Nov 15 2002, 05:14 PM
if u already have one 87 rx7, why are u going to buy another? thanks for clarifying all other points though
The current RX-7 is my project car. Eventually I plan to use it as just a weekend fun car... for canyon runs, open track racing, that sort of thing.

The 85, I want to get a stock GSL-SE to autocross in the stock class. Small, decent-handling, fair amount of power, and cheap... good to have some fun cone-dodging. Plus it makes a decent spare car (and it's always nice to have a spare car).

The RX-8... well... I want a nice, good looking new car that I can use as a comfortable and quick daily driver, with all the amenities that I forsake on my other sports cars (sunroof, AC, power windows and door locks, etc).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts