Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I think this is the second time I've posted about racing Honda's... I feel like I should be on Speed Tales or something :) Well I was driving home tonight, going about 80 on the freeway, not in a real hurry or anything, the speed limit on this freeway is 70. So every car I drive by I am looking on their doors at my car, because I just put on some Wheel Flys and I wanted to see what they look like in motion (does anyone else notice these don't always work too well?) I happened to glance at this lowered Civic hatchback w/ blue headlights... wow big deal he was in the slow lane I thought nothing of it. About 4 minutes later I see some headlights approaching FAST on my right side and he passes me going at least 90 so I immediately punched it cuz he obviously wanted to go. We ran out of road cuz of cars so we never really got to race. I just kept on his tail while we waited for traffic to clear up. He flashed his hazards once, as if he had won a race or something but we hadn't even gone yet (wtf?) Well we continued stuck in traffic and got to my exit but I decided not to get off... I had something to prove to this ricer. A couple of minutes after my exit the traffic cleared up.... right as the freeway curves we both punched it at the same time. NOT a good idea to take that slight curve in the road at 90 in the Mil... lot's of body roll. A car was in my lane so I had to get over... FINALLY I get back in the right lane and he was in the left lane w/ a good stretch of road ahead. We both mashed and from there I knew he was done, being the arrogant dumbass I am I even waved to him as I approached 95... in the corner of my eye though I see that he is still with me! So I keep it floored and we get all the way up to like 125 when I'm coming up on a car fast so we slowed down. I am serious though for the entire run from 70 to 125 I was holding steady at like 1/4 of a car length ahead, that's it. I was so surprised... so I followed him to the next exit and signaled for him to exit. I followed him down a main street until he finally realized I wanted him to pull over. I got out of my car totally shocked, he had kind of a smile on his face. I was like "what in the hell do you have in there?" Turns out he has a B16A from an Integra... big ass tach, other than that and the lowering job his car looks like a stock Civic CX which has like 90 Hp or something. I gave him mad props for being a ricer who actually is doing it right instead of just someone w/ a loud ass exhaust and other BS that does no good. He was like "Thanks for being cool about it and not tripping or nothing" and that was that. All in all that was some crazy sh*t.. I'm never going to assume anything about a ricer again.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thats pretty cool, theres enough of those fools who think their lawnmower sound is neato. Now I'm unfamiliar with that engine you said, the B16A. Is that the 1.8vtec popular among the ricers, or something different? Now are those wheel flys those things that light up when your driving on the road? I like these posts, maybe someday i'll have a story to post. Right now i'm taking care of my baby. :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wrong about the B16 A coming out of an Integra. It is actually from the Japanese Civic SiR... it produces 170 HP :eek: that's really good when you consider what car it was in (hatchback.) Yea those wheel flys are little valve stem lights.. but just as I predicted less than a week after having them on I got pulled over (tonight), no ticket but still it's gay I hate the cops around here. If anyone wants 2 red pairs of them let me know.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
B18 is the former 1.8-liter Integra motor (1994-2001), while the 1.6-liter B16 (same VTEC-based design, just smaller) was used in the old Civic Si coupe (1999-2000). Honda's new performance-oriented VTEC four-cylinder, as used in the new Civic Si hatchback and RSX, is the 2.0-liter K20.

This link I just found will help with Honda's maze of engine codes.

hondaboy :D - sometimes even I need help (actually, always)

·
Registered
349 Posts
ah yep your never gonna assume things about rice burners...but wouldnt it be great to beat all the rice burners :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
yeah i was going to say a b18a is from a integ... a civic with a civic SI motor still isent a big deal...dident you say u had 210 hp?

racing top end where HP matters , and u had 210 and he has 170 u should have rode on him....are u a auto?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well he may have had more mods, I didn't talk to him much. I still won, I just didn't kill him. I do have an auto, and from 60mph-up my car books it... but I think the numbers add up. Sure, I have more HP, but his car is wayyyy lighter, and a 5-speed. I dunno maybe he was squeezing or something :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
all millenia s came in auto,210 to the ;lighter civic 160 hp si motor equal the about the same if you calculate power to weight ratio.assume the civic its 2500 to the millenia over 300lb.the extra 70 hp will not helps you pull the civic cause they ran in the same quarter mile bracket.
also for the record.
b16a its an si motor rated @160hp
b18a its an integra ls/gd and special edition,non vtec @145hp
b18c1 is from gsr,rated 170hp
b18c5 rated at 195,type r motor.
also before the b series motor honda uses a d series 1.6 for 92-95 si,and the 1.5s motor.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by ademan@Nov 27 2002, 10:13 PM
all millenia s came in auto,210 to the ;lighter civic 160 hp si motor equal the about the same if you calculate power to weight ratio.assume the civic its 2500 to the millenia over 300lb.the extra 70 hp will not helps you pull the civic cause they ran in the same quarter mile bracket.
also for the record.
also before the b series motor honda uses a d series 1.6 for 92-95 si,and the 1.5s motor.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE+Nov 28 2002, 01:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MaxSpeedSE @ Nov 28 2002, 01:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--ademan@Nov 27 2002, 10:13 PM
also for the record.
[/b][/quote]
The reality is that a civic with a B16 from a Si or a B18 from a Type R will skunk any Millenia from a standstill. The B18 from a Type R will be able to run with a 2.3 Millenia at highway speeds any day too!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've raced a 1988 Prelude with a B16 swap. He has Momo seats, fuel management, and a few mods. He ran a 14.99 @ 90. I raced him on the street from a roll....and walked him. At that point I only had the K&N drop in filter. So...that didn't raise my already low opinion about Honda "power" of any sort.

(by the way his car weighed around 2400 with him in it at that point)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try racing a 1999 and up Prelude Base manual not the SH in high speed and you wil know what Honda Vtec engines are all about and certainely Prelude' s being the the best behind NSX and the S2000. By the way I have been a big Mazda fan for years and a current owner of Mazda 6 as well but I only realized this fact when I owned the prelude about 2 years ago that in high speeds it is just a monster and with a 2.2 liter vtec it gets all the way to 150 mph all stock. SH model can get upto 145 MPH because of additional weight and in general is slower than the base prelude
The best mazda however that I have experienced other than the RX7 was my 1991 MX6 GT. that car was rated only at 145 hp with 190 foot pound of torque but believe me that car could easily take LT1 camaros and transAms from 40 mph on wards but I never raced an LS1 in that so I dont know Mustang was not even in the competition. But I was crazy enough just to get the low end rush of LT1 I changed my MX6 gt with a 1997 Trans AM 6 speed and after that I could not find an MX 6 or 626 GT in such condition and now they simply are just too old to buy.
Anyway the bottom line is that just having more horsepower will not always win you races and a car can be really good in the initial accelration but suck at the top end or high i.e Mustang GT pre 2001 will loose against some of the ordinary 0 to 60 to 1/4 mile cars in the high speed such as Prelude, Integra Mazda Mx6 GT etc. Its all about engine design and torque distrbution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
SpeedsNstyle,
You are certainly entitled to have your own opinion but that does not change the facts. Honda is the company which changed the whole trend by pumping out so much performance from small engines and thats what others followed. Honda started with the Vtec and then everbody followed with the variable valve timing. The point is that not everybody cares about just zero to 60 its the overall performance of a car that matters. I agree that Civic owners are a bit too overconfident but I was reffering to specifically Honda prelude and only if you have to keep that car for a while then you would understand what am I talking about. I currently own a Mazda 6s 5 speed Manual and I love the car but I still miss the prelude just because the driving pleasure that the Prelude offered in my Owneship experience without any Mods was still the best so far in any car that I have owned and I have owned many.
The bottom line first experience owning a high end Honda Model not Civics but Prelude Integra typeR or RSX typeS 6 speed Manual and then see if what you wrote is even remotely close to the truth.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Hondas are cool I own a '00 EBP Si (my toy)........ it's all about honda's B series engine...

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by Miller Cycle@Dec 5 2002, 08:27 PM
I've raced a 1988 Prelude with a B16 swap. He has Momo seats, fuel management, and a few mods. He ran a 14.99 @ 90. I raced him on the street from a roll....and walked him. At that point I only had the K&N drop in filter. So...that didn't raise my already low opinion about Honda "power" of any sort.

(by the way his car weighed around 2400 with him in it at that point)
You are correct Mazda's 2.3L will be able to outpace Honda's B16 (stock) from 0-60. However, the 2.3L definatley won't skunk the B16 from 0-60.

Honda's B16 is just a very capable engine and its funny to listen too when it x-over into vtec. Honda's B18 (Type-R) will skunk Mazda's 2.3L from 0-60 with ease though. But again, 0-60 times aren't the 2.3L strong points and that's okay!

:)

'01 Millenia S (Platinum)
'00 Civic Si (EBP)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Originally posted by seldomseen@Jan 7 2003, 12:24 PM
Hondas are cool I own a '00 EBP Si (my toy)........ it's all about honda's B series engine...
Mmm... :p

Any mods on the Civic, or is it stock? If so, it's probably the only one like that anymore...

Duncan :D

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by Duncan+Jan 10 2003, 06:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duncan @ Jan 10 2003, 06:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--seldomseen@Jan 7 2003, 12:24 PM
Mmm... :p

Any mods on the Civic, or is it stock? If so, it's probably the only one like that anymore...

Duncan :D [/b][/quote]
It's relatively stock......... intake, exhaust, header........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts