Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been having problems with my clutch and thought i had it sorted after reading some other posts on this forum but the work i carried out hasn't solved the problem and so wanted some advice if anyone has any.

my clutch pedal started sticking to the floor when shifting so i'd have to pull the pedal back up with my foot each time. it was also losing pressure i.e. with the pedal on the floor the clutch would disengage but then start engaging after a few seconds without the pedal being lifted. i checked and the fluid had run low but after bleeding the system the problem still persisted. had a look at the master cylinder and everything was fine and dry there.... then checked the slave and the rubber boot that sits on the piston was full of fluid so i guess the seal had just given up. no big deal, i just picked up a repair kit and fixed it up, now it holds pressure and has been bled thoroughly so should be working properly.

however, the clutch pedal still sticks to the floor when shifting. the system is holding pressure, although the bite point is now really low i.e. i push the pedal to the floor to shift gear, but only have to lift it a couple of centimetres to engage. the problem itself mainly happens in reverse, first and second gear, and then as i gain momentum etc the problem seems to go away - shifting is easier and the pedal doesn't stick (although it does have a point about half way up its travel where it feels like it is not far from sticking). the pedal also springs back fine when the truck is in neutral. when the truck is not running the system feels about perfect!

does this sound like the master cylinder seals may have failed enough to not hold pressure fully OR does it sound like my clutch is about to give up the ghost? or is there an adjustment that needs to be made to rectify the problem?

any help would be much appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
the clutch doesnt have any kind of "adjuster" on it... i had a similar problem... but mine wast the master first... have someone watch your slave and pump the pedal repeatedly then hold... if the slave moves back to the engaged position your master is blown... the master doesnt normally leak fluid out like the slave would... the fluid bypasses the seal and returns back to the resevior.

leland

i've been having problems with my clutch and thought i had it sorted after reading some other posts on this forum but the work i carried out hasn't solved the problem and so wanted some advice if anyone has any.

my clutch pedal started sticking to the floor when shifting so i'd have to pull the pedal back up with my foot each time. it was also losing pressure i.e. with the pedal on the floor the clutch would disengage but then start engaging after a few seconds without the pedal being lifted. i checked and the fluid had run low but after bleeding the system the problem still persisted. had a look at the master cylinder and everything was fine and dry there.... then checked the slave and the rubber boot that sits on the piston was full of fluid so i guess the seal had just given up. no big deal, i just picked up a repair kit and fixed it up, now it holds pressure and has been bled thoroughly so should be working properly.

however, the clutch pedal still sticks to the floor when shifting. the system is holding pressure, although the bite point is now really low i.e. i push the pedal to the floor to shift gear, but only have to lift it a couple of centimetres to engage. the problem itself mainly happens in reverse, first and second gear, and then as i gain momentum etc the problem seems to go away - shifting is easier and the pedal doesn't stick (although it does have a point about half way up its travel where it feels like it is not far from sticking). the pedal also springs back fine when the truck is in neutral. when the truck is not running the system feels about perfect!

does this sound like the master cylinder seals may have failed enough to not hold pressure fully OR does it sound like my clutch is about to give up the ghost? or is there an adjustment that needs to be made to rectify the problem?

any help would be much appreciated! thanks[/b]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many of us have had the same exact problem. Replace the master cylinder or rebuild it. I got one from Autozone for $27.

Bench bleed it before you install it.

HTH

-------------------------------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are.", Buckaroo Bonzai

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was having the same problem with my B2600i but it just turned out that I did not bleed all of the air out of the system. It took a lot more bleeding than I thought to get all of the air out. Try bleeding the system a little more to eliminate air in the system.

·
Registered
1 Posts

any help would be much appreciated! thanks
Years later but did you ever figure this out? I have a 89 2600i and I replaced both the master and slave cylinder. I have also bled the breaks for a while but the engagement points on the clutch petal and slave cylinder is still much lower than they should be.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Years later but did you ever figure this out? I have a 89 2600i and I replaced both the master and slave cylinder. I have also bled the breaks for a while but the engagement points on the clutch petal and slave cylinder is still much lower than they should be.
Bled the brakes? How is that relevant to the clutch system???

I'd bleed the clutch slave cylinder well, and if that doesn't help I'd investigate the pushrod for the clutch master.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts