Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody can do me a favor, and post pics on how it is installed on a 2.5 (Non S) engine, I'd reallly really really appreciate it.

I understand I need a 3" cone filter, and that's all I understand :roll: Give me a hand here!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What cone should I buy, now that I see how it's put on? I just need a part number or something so I can go out and get it :)

Also, how long did it take you to put it on? Any other details I need to know would be appreciated. Thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just went to the local speedshop and asked for a 3'' open-end air filter they had 3 different kinds I got the middle priced one ($40.00) I dont have a part # but most company's have a universal filter,I know k&n does and it goes for around $60.00. Once you have your filter just pop the top off air box and I believe theres a couple on bolts you'll have to undo, throw the cone filter on, pull the IAF sensor out the air box cover and reattach it and just let it hang on the side. Your check engine light might come well actually it will so just disconnect the negative battery wire for a couple of minutes,connet it and start the car, if the light stays on then drive it around for a while and eventually it will go off. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just went to the local speedshop and asked for a 3'' open-end air filter they had 3 different kinds I got the middle priced one ($40.00) I dont have a part # but most company's have a universal filter,I know k&n does and it goes for around $60.00. Once you have your filter just pop the top off air box and I believe theres a couple on bolts you'll have to undo, throw the cone filter on, pull the IAF sensor out the air box cover and reattach it and just let it hang on the side. Your check engine light might come well actually it will so just disconnect the negative battery wire for a couple of minutes,connet it and start the car, if the light stays on then drive it around for a while and eventually it will go off. Hope this helps.
I INSTALLED MY CONE FILTER...AND MY ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AS WELL AS MY TCS LIGHT??? CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY MY TCS LIGHT WOULD COME ON, I DON'T THINK MY IAF SENSOR SHOULD HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT....ALSO I WAS TOLD BY A LOCAL MOTORSPORTS STORE THAT SINCE THE IAF SENSOR IS OFF..I GUESS THE AIR/FUEL RATIO IS OFF AS WELL, SO THE ENGINE IS RECEIVING MORE AIR THAN IT SHOULD AND THAT COULD EVENTUALLY FUCK UP MY ENGINE, IS THIS TRUE? ALSO DO I REALLY NEED TO GET A RESISTOR FOR THIS?? HELP...

THANKS
ELMER

·
Registered
49 Posts
bad move people. put your factory stuff back together and put a k&N drop in filter there instead. Less of a head ache either way you will not notice a gain. unless you take it to the dyno and even there is it is minimal only 2hp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those of you who are putting cone filters on your cars should take into consideration that you're defeating the purpose of the filterbox. There is a plastic pipe that connects from the box to the body panel. That is there for "Cold-Air Induction", whick allows the engine to intake cold air. When you remove the box and install a cone filter or intake kit, the motor is drawing air from the engine compartment. The air is a lot hotter in there than it is outside. General rule of thumb.....the colder the air the more hp you're going to get. Colder air is more combustable with fuel than hot air.
My suggestion would be to either get a K&N filter to fit the filterbox or go all out and get a Ram-Air Induction kit. :shifty:

·
Registered
8 Posts
ELMER
I would use the resistor trick. The O2 sensor will tell the ECM to adjust the A/F ratio if it's running a little rich of too lean. If you want to add more power, get a "Dry NOS" kit for your car. It will shoot nitrous ( without shooting fuel, hence the term Dry) into the intake and POOF!! more hp. The only thing you'll have to do is retard the timing 1 or 2 degrees to get the full effect. It won't mess up your car either. The ECM will sense and O2 increase in the exhaust and dump more fuel into the engine. It's the cheapest way to get hp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts