Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
We just bought a new Mazda 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring (US version) and while driving it for the first few times, we noticed that there's this high-pitched squeal/whistle-like noise that starts and is somewhat constant once you've gone over a certain speed, like 30 miles per hour. Note: On/off A/C, radio, all 4 windows, or sunroof doesn't make any difference, it doesn't seem to be related to any of these. We also don't think it's related to the tires/pressure - otherwise we'd expect the sensors to kick in.
We think the noise/pitch may be due to the wind resistance going through some slot/shoot/hole, but not sure if it's something in the new roof rail system that the 2018 version has or what could be causing it (We had the CX-5 GT 2016 model with a different roof rail and never had this issue with that car).

Anyone ever experience/heard of this? Thank you in advance for any help on this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have the same issue on my 2017 at speeds above 40 mph. It turns out it is the right roof rail on mine. I taped off the leading edge as an experiment and the whistling was gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2018 CX-5 as well and have the same issue. It's pretty quiet and I can't hear it with the radio on, but it's bothersome to know that it's happening while driving.

The roof rail theory is an interesting one. I do have roof rails on my Touring edition (no sunroof). I was planning to figure out what speeds it happens for.

Mine sounds like it's coming from the right side as well. I'll look into taping the leading edge as well.

Thanks for posting this, ellyu, and for the follow-up WRXRay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE: I did some experimentation with my CX-5 and discovered that it is indeed the right roof rail causing the whistling/whining sound.

A few strips of electrical tape between the window and roof rail to divert the wind and the whistling went away completely.

For me, it's anything above 30 MPH.

I'll be taking it to the dealership to have them figure out how to fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is strange is that I removed all of the tape I initially put on and simply applied a single strip covering the joint of the main rail and the small leading edge piece...whistling is still gone. I compared this section of the roof rail to the drivers side and I see no difference. Very strange!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mind checking to see if there's a similar gap in your right rail to mine? Not great picture quality, sorry. The car's in my garage with terrible lightning so I had to use a flash.

There's a notable gap between the right rail and its end cap, and essentially no gap in the left rail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting, I have noticed the wind noise on he right hand side too. I actually though it was off the weathershield. When I wash her this weekend I will have to look at the condition of my right rail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been occasionally hearing this howling noise in my 2019 Mazda CX-5.
Made a few recordings with my phone, and played them for the service advisor during the most recent service trip to Oak Tree Mazda in San Jose, CA. Somewhat predictably got "Unable to duplicate problem" response from him, even though he admitted to hearing a similar noise in his personal CX-5..! He then told me he thought it was.... a tire squeal from a side wind lifting one side of his car. facepalm
My car does not have either a roof rack or rails, so they cannot be the culprit(s).
Here's a recording of this annoying noise in my car:

Here's the same noise from someone driving a CX-5 on unrestricted portion of an autobahn in Germany:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been occasionally hearing this howling noise in my 2019 Mazda CX-5.
Made a few recordings with my phone, and played them for the service advisor during the most recent service trip to Oak Tree Mazda in San Jose, CA. Somewhat predictably got "Unable to duplicate problem" response from him, even though he admitted to hearing a similar noise in his personal CX-5..! He then told me he thought it was.... a tire squeal from a side wind lifting one side of his car. facepalm
My car does not have either a roof rack or rails, so they cannot be the culprit(s).
Here's a recording of this annoying noise in my car:

Here's the same noise from someone driving a CX-5 on unrestricted portion of an autobahn in Germany:
Hi there,

That is the exact same sound I hear on my cx -5. Also only at high speed. Did you manage to find a fix for this? I have no roof rails on mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently a TSB to address this issue has been released in Europe and Russia. Sadly, Mazda North America continues to be denial that this issue exists. I filed a complaint with NHTSA #11429312 two days ago. Hopefully it'll get the ball moving, if slowly. 2019 MAZDA CX-5 SUV FWD | NHTSA or search by the complaint #11429312.
I have numerous in-car videos documenting the issue. As a next step I am planning to measure and record how loud the noise inside the cabin gets.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts