Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My daughter has a 2016 CX-9 which it looks like my wife and I are going to take over and swap...
we have a 2009 Murano SL, and I drive a Forester. We have had Honda's, Subes, and Nissan. Never had a Mazda.
My feeling always has been as long as its Japanese I'm good. Now the CX-9 has this 4 cylinder turbo, how is
highway passing, entering, and hill climbing with the CX-9. Any concerns with that model?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's faster than the Forester. Don't know about the others. When that turbo come on you will think you're driving a sports car. I suspect you will be surprised. It's too easy to get those front wheels to chirp on take off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello

My daughter has a 2016 CX-9 which it looks like my wife and I are going to take over and swap...
we have a 2009 Murano SL, and I drive a Forester. We have had Honda's, Subes, and Nissan. Never had a Mazda.
My feeling always has been as long as its Japanese I'm good. Now the CX-9 has this 4 cylinder turbo, how is
highway passing, entering, and hill climbing with the CX-9. Any concerns with that model?

Thanks
Hey there. I replaced the CX-5 last year with a 2016 CX-9 GT AWD. We drive from PEI to Cape Breton from time to time. We enjoy that the CX-9 has ample space, lots of torque for passing and better fuel economy than it's competitors. We bought it as a lease return and it only had 37,000 kms on it. It's nearly a year later now, it has 54,000 kms and we've only had one issue...two front calipers were sticking and were replaced under warranty. We get nearly 600 kms per tank of mid grade during summer with Michelin Premier LTX 20 inch tires on it. We got around 500 kms per tank last winter with directional Good Years and morning idling to warm up. The rear brakes seem to be starting to stick at this point. I replaced the front pads and rotors myself for $500 last month. This SUV is one of the most comfortable driving boxes on wheels I've ever driven for 3.5 hours. The CX-9 is a great all around SUV but it falls a little short on towing capacity. This thing gets approx 10 to 11 liters per 100 kms with the 2.5L turbo. The older 6 cylinder version had more power but sucked back 14 to 15 liters per 100 kms. I tow a small trailer and it does a fine job. We don't have kids. We fold the third row down for the two sets of golf gear, put the two large dogs in the back set and have ample space. One short stomp on the accelerator and it picks up speed quickly. You'll notice that the accelerator pushes down 95% and has a little resistance. That last 5% is to get the higher rpms engaged so that in automatic you get it to use higher torque above 3000 rpm. Stomp that petal fully to the floor and it will leave most small cars and trucks in its dust. My favorite attribute of this CX-9 though is the AWD system during winter. I enjoy that my GT has leather seats so that the dog fur doesn't stick to it as much...I clean it less than the CX-5 before it. The heated seats are nice, the heated steering wheel, parking assist and adaptive cruise all neat toys worth paying for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts