Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a deer and the only thing that happened was my fuel pump quit working, so is there something that cases fuel shit of in the event of a collision. This is a 87 carbed 2.5 I believe. Any in put would be greatly Appreciated

·
Registered
139 Posts
The reason I asked was because the carbed auto trans trucks have an electric fuel pump in the gas tank......it's a low pressure unit for a carb, and the shock from the deer impact could have caused an issue with it.

Since your truck is a manual trans, the fuel pump is mechanical.......mounted to the rear passenger side of the cylinder head.......auto trans trucks will have a block-off plate there.

There is a "roll over switch" designed to stop fuel flow in the event of a roll over.......who knows, it could have disrupted that........if the gas tank (or carb) had some rust settlement in them, I guess it could have stirred it up enough to cause a blockage, but doubtful.

Another thought......there are some fuel pumps being sold that will break at the lever for no reason......might want to remove the valve cover and have a look to make sure that hasn't happened.

·
Registered
1991 Mazda B2200
9 Posts
The reason I asked was because the carbed auto trans trucks have an electric fuel pump in the gas tank......it's a low pressure unit for a carb, and the shock from the deer impact could have caused an issue with it.

Since your truck is a manual trans, the fuel pump is mechanical.......mounted to the rear passenger side of the cylinder head.......auto trans trucks will have a block-off plate there.

There is a "roll over switch" designed to stop fuel flow in the event of a roll over.......who knows, it could have disrupted that........if the gas tank (or carb) had some rust settlement in them, I guess it could have stirred it up enough to cause a blockage, but doubtful.

Another thought......there are some fuel pumps being sold that will break at the lever for no reason......might want to remove the valve cover and have a look to make sure that hasn't happened.
That was thought as well, possible the shock may have broken the lever if indeed it is a mechanical pump.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You state that you have a manual transmission 1987 Mazda truck. If yours truly has an electric in-tank fuel pump, it sounds like a Frankenstein vehicle, with mixed parts from other vehicles. If so, the wiring could be all "custom" or mickey-moused. Chilton's can be wrong; check if your truck is really a 1987.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts