Mazda World Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
oh because I see 20w50 oil and it says for racing how can someone race an engine with that thick of an oil to get to the parts?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey dmeetro...how'd that synthetic in the diff work out? I'm gonna be jacking the car up soon so I'm gonna go ahead and take care of that...I was looking at mobil 1 syn gear lube...they have 75w90 and 75w140. I'm supposed to roll with 90w...so which one would you use?? They both say GL-5 rated. I'm also gonna do my oil change at that point and drop the transmission pan and do the old filter and get some new atf in there....so what do you think about syn atf? I have about 160k mi on this transmission if that helps....Thanks

BTW anybody who's been wanting to see pics of my cleaned up engine bay..I think I broke my brother's borrowed camera! So I'm still trying to work that out!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
yeah 75w90 will do the trick, the synthetic gear lube is working out grate, i havent had any probs but i havent checked back there yet. You should change your fuel filter as well the car will thank u with better gas milage. As far as atf goes most dextron 3 will do great, i use valvoline maxlife atf it has additives for tranny with over 75k.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks for clearing up the diff situation! As for the fuel filter, when I had my car up at Mazda there was like 10 things I asked them to do that they just didn't for some reason...that was one of them! I'm so sick of them that I didn't even consider letting them get their hands on my car again...luckily for me there's this place called Mazcare here..they're an independent business..specializing in Mazdas(they have a website)..I've called them a couple of times and they're great! I'm not even a customer yet and they'll still help me a lot over the phone....and way more knowlegable about my car than the customer rep people at the stealership! Anyways, I was planning on doing the fuel filter I forgot to mention that..thanks for the heads up though. So in your opinion with this aged tranny I should just go ahead and get some of that valvoline maxlife....syn isn't an advantage here?? Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
it depends on what you are planing on doing with the tranny, there are ways to make it shift harder or make it smoother by choosing the right fluid. But if you just want reliability put in some atf thats rated for migher milage cars dextron3/mecron.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks dmeetro...Of course I want it to be reliable..there is way too much information and debate over syn vs non-syn in the transmission on the net. And while I've read plenty of success stories of switching to syn I haven't heard of any problems...however my situation may be different due to the age of the tranny...the success I've heard is of a "noticable" new smoothness in the shifting, sounds very enticing...but the reading I've done on the Valvoline Maxlife seems to be awfully positive too....DAMN INTERNET!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm gonna get on the transmission in the next few days I hope...but I did the differental..thanks for the info!! Might be my imagination but it feels like somethings been freed up, or smoother or something....the old oil was screwed!

·
Registered
325 Posts
It will be from now on....out of curiousity what are your maintenance intervals on tranny filter, plugs, motor oil and filter, dist cap so on and so on...should I just go by what the manual says? I don't think it mentions some things...like to get your opinion and maintenance schedule...I'm hoping to have a couple minutes to throw that new fuel filter in there tomorrow..while I was doing my diff I noticed that my exhaust ground was trashed, I'll go ahead and take of that too!

edit: I plan on starting a maintenance log tomorrow..also the ignition wires..and the k&n cone, how often would you clean that up?? Feel free to add things if I forgot! I'm still new at working on the car! Hey 9ine how often have you cleaned up your cone? I got one of those kits...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was hoping to get some advice on this problem with either my transmission or diff. I have a HD 929 and it has the following symptoms which my local auto trans. place told me was slack in the Diff and there is nothing I can do about it, another place also said I may need a gearbox service.

* When you move the selector gear between P, R or D there is (depending on how cold the engine is) a bump that feels as if it comes from the back of the car and it is sometimes accompanied by a loud click sound if the car is parked facing downwards on a hill.

* When the car is cold the first gearchange that is does from taking off is usually a large bump that can be felt throughout the car and this happens on a less noticeable level when the car is warm.

Perhaps I can get some expert advice cause where i live in Australia it is rare that any mechanics get to see a HD + 929 let alone work on one so they basically dont know what they are doing!

Also, my power steering recently has been getting like a tank when the car is cold but my fluid is fine, could this be a sensor issue?

Also, is it normal for HD's to idle at 1150rpm when cold and in park? for some reason mine has started to.

thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It will be from now on....out of curiousity what are your maintenance intervals on tranny filter, plugs, motor oil and filter, dist cap so on and so on...should I just go by what the manual says? I don't think it mentions some things...like to get your opinion and maintenance schedule...I'm hoping to have a couple minutes to throw that new fuel filter in there tomorrow..while I was doing my diff I noticed that my exhaust ground was trashed, I'll go ahead and take of that too!

edit: I plan on starting a maintenance log tomorrow..also the ignition wires..and the k&n cone, how often would you clean that up?? Feel free to add things if I forgot! I'm still new at working on the car! Hey 9ine how often have you cleaned up your cone? I got one of those kits...
[/b]

engine oil/filter every 5k

60k maintnenace
Sparkplug wires
waterpump
drive belts
timing belt
fuel filter
fuel lines and hoses inspection/fuel pressure test
differential oil
Adjust idle speed
valvecover gaskets if they are leaking.
Intake manifold gasket
Thermostat
Oxygen sensors
Radiator hoses
Crankshaft position sensor(if acting up)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Perfect thanks...exactly what I needed! Quick question: Are you saying that you replace the radiator hoses at 60 all the time? Because out of that list, I should be cool...but what sticks out to me is that. I do not have 60 on my hoses yet, just curious.....this post will be "stickyed" in my notebook!! Thanks again man

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Its not extremely necessary but they run under 30$ and you are doing a collant flush at 60k anyways so its right there . I have been told radiator hoses can collapse from pressures but my family owned the 929 well over 60k and never changed the hoses. I do it but thats only coz i strongly believe in preventative maintenance.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts