Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i recently pulled down a DOHC motor and thought someone might be interested in the internals. From factory they seem like a really strong motor, they have a three ply steel head gasket and roller rockers. I was quite impressed :thumbsup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

I guess in its day it would have been a reasonably "premium" motor for Mazda. Is the bottom end pretty solid?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure about the bottom end, as i stopped pulling the motor down once i realised im gana be better off with a new motor. The head was cracked right through and the motor had timing oil leaks, so a fresher motor is going in once i can afford it.
The car its out of will be getting resprayed over the next few weeks, til i can get my hands on another motor.

·
Registered
931 Posts
nine2nine, thanks for the pics mate. i have always wanted to see inside these motors.
also, what are you doing with the bottom end?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive actually neglected the bottom end a little, and to be recoved it would need a hone and new pistons and rings.
Would anyone be able to tell me the best place to pick up a complete DOHC motor in the brisbane/ sunnycoast area? I was just going to buy one from the importers, is there any better/cheaper options? Cheers.
If theres not i guess ill be rebuilding mine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
try NLM Auto and speak to Neil Moxey. He may have something lying around.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, just a quick update. Instead of putting another DOHC v6 motor back in, i have just bought a 2jz-ge soarer front cut instead.
It will only be a small power increase to 168kw, however parts availability, ease to work on and better economy will be a blessing. Turbo will go after i finish uni :D

Fitting it will begin right after i finish spraying the beast. Got it cheap too $850 off ebay!

·
Registered
790 Posts
:w00t!:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, just letting anyone who is interested know. I will be trying to sell off as many of the DOHC parts as possible. Things like engine accessories, computer, wiring loom, new alternator, power steering pump, ac pump, new radiator, automatic (i think its reconditioned as the tourque converter is a different colour to stock), etc. These parts will prob go on ebay when i get the chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts