Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard some people talk about double clutching some kind of technique. I'm not really sure how this is done, but I hear if it's done correctly its a much more efficient shift method. Can this also be done downshifting too?? Anything anyone knows about this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Proud 626 2.0L turbo owner

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
On modern cars it's a useless thing to do because of the transmission, but here's how ya do it..

From first to second, for example's sake.. works same every other gear to gear :)...

From first, depress clutch.

Shift to neutral, release clutch.

Depress clutch, shift to second.

But like I said.. doesn't serve any purpose with modern cars. You're better off learning to heel and toe downshift, the only real thing there is to 'learn' that can't just be picked up by driving the car.

Here's a link for that: Edmunds

·
Registered
428 Posts
I used to love to heel and toe my former 96 Mustang Cobra. That was fun. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have an 86 626 so it's an older model. I don't see the point of double clutching...is there one. It seems to me by your explanation that it would take longer to shift like this than normal......what are the advantages of shifting like this.....I know how to heel - to - toe downshift but just wondering about the double-clutching technique.
thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
"supposed" to give you a better kick from each gear when you shift like that, but with modern transmissions it really actually just makes you take longer to shift :p

The power is the same whether you double clutch or not. Fast and the Furious was full of shit :)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Originally posted by Shayaan@Sep 18 2002, 09:39 AM
The power is the same whether you double clutch or not. Fast and the Furious was full of shit :)
"Not double-clutching like you should...I'm surprised you didn't blow the welds off your intake with that double-shot of nitrous you're running!"
- Vin Diesel as Dom, The Fast and the Furious

Damn, that was a stupid movie. Funny in parts, but probably for the wrong reasons.

hondaboy :D - disappointed in Hollywood

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by hondaboy81+Sep 18 2002, 06:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hondaboy81 @ Sep 18 2002, 06:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Shayaan@Sep 18 2002, 09:39 AM
"Not double-clutching like you should...I'm surprised you didn't blow the welds off your intake with that double-shot of nitrous you're running!"
- Vin Diesel as Dom, The Fast and the Furious

Damn, that was a stupid movie. Funny in parts, but probably for the wrong reasons.

hondaboy :D - disappointed in Hollywood[/b][/quote]
Don't get me started...

That movie only had one redeeming factor and that's the RX-7, maybe the Supra too (though I'm no big fan).

Modded RX-7 with a 3 rotor engine, turboed and modded, properly ported.. yer looking at 700ish horses. *drools*

·
Registered
329 Posts
I hurd Double Clutching is only used for every day driving.. I use it if im bord and i want to cruz, some say it saves the clutch... but most the time, specialy with racing, i just rip thew the gears B)

-ChRi§

G

·
Heh... think about what you just said... "save the clutch." You're using more clutch. I hope you're not serious. It's retarded to double clutch these days with transmissions we have. Used to you'd have to double clutch to get the transmission to shift gears smoothly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by Guest@Sep 23 2002, 09:04 PM
Heh... think about what you just said... "save the clutch." You're using more clutch. I hope you're not serious. It's retarded to double clutch these days with transmissions we have. Used to you'd have to double clutch to get the transmission to shift gears smoothly.
No where did i say...it saves the clutch... I just said thats what i heard

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
The RX-7 and the Supra were the best things in that movie.

Actually, I take that back. Anytime you put a black Charger in a film (I refer you to Bullitt with Steve McQueen), something good is bound to happen.

But of the cars featured, I'd probably pick the RX-7 - possibly without the wing and body kit - as the one I'd want to have.

And boy, the nerdy kid's Jetta was a piece, wasn't it?

Duncan :D - I only rag on the ugly cars

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by hondaboy81@Sep 23 2002, 11:36 PM
The RX-7 and the Supra were the best things in that movie.

Actually, I take that back. Anytime you put a black Charger in a film (I refer you to Bullitt with Steve McQueen), something good is bound to happen.

But of the cars featured, I'd probably pick the RX-7 - possibly without the wing and body kit - as the one I'd want to have.

And boy, the nerdy kid's Jetta was a piece, wasn't it?

Duncan :D - I only rag on the ugly cars
That Jetta was bought by the kid in Malcolm in the Middle... What a retard :p

He got ripped off... FWD car that's got NAWS MAN! :)

hahahahahaha.. *sides hurt* :blush:

·
Registered
329 Posts
The guy that picked the cars...and put the movie together..with the supra got his @$$ waxed!

By the maxima in the move :D

( Tru story )

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Well, the kid from Malcolm also has a Lotus Esprit. Which his studio bought for him, actually. :blink: Perks, I guess.

Duncan :D - they can buy me a Lotus any time...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by pylon_1@Sep 18 2002, 12:09 AM
I've heard some people talk about double clutching some kind of technique. I'm not really sure how this is done, but I hear if it's done correctly its a much more efficient shift method. Can this also be done downshifting too?? Anything anyone knows about this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Proud 626 2.0L turbo owner
Hi guys. New to this board and new to Mazda's in general.

Lemme take stab at this subject.

Double clutching allows the driver to match engine speed with vehicle speed.

Here's how it's done:

To shift down from 3rd to 2nd - Disengage clutch; move shifter to neutral; engage clutch; rev engine to match vehicle speed; disengage clutch; move shifter to 2nd gear; engage clutch.

The point of all this is to smooth the engagement of the engine to the drivetrain so that the engine compression does not "shock" the drivetrain, which can lead to drivetrain damage after repeated high speed shifting into a low gear at high RPM and high vehicle speeds. In addition, by not "shocking" the drivetrain after engaging the engine, the drive wheels will not suddenly slow down relative to vehicle speed, which may lead to a slight skid which can upset your cornering line. Finally, it helps your transmission synchronizers.

It sounds really cool but requires some skill and practice. It's usually done under hard braking, before approaching your corner apex and you need to be in the right gear for maximum acceleration out of the corner. So, this is where "heel & toeing" is necessary. That's when you have your heel applying the brakes, and your toe on the gas to blip the throttle as you match engine speed to vehicle speed. Easier said than done that's for sure. But it sounds totally cool from both inside and outside the vehicle. If you want to know what this sounds like without actually doing it, go test drive a BMW with their 5-speed automatic. Shift it manually and listen as you downshift as you slow down. You'll notice the engine electronics blips the throttle to match engine speed to vehicle speed. Very trick.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Welcome, Rogue! I recognize you from the CD boards, correct?

Duncan :D - getting the word out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Duncan. Yeah. I got the link here from Shayaan.

Just got a P5 so I thought I may look for a Mazda-specific board.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i myself got into a long debate and had someone kindly explain it to me basicly the heel/toe shifting cuts down on the actually shift time, however double clutching causes the engine to do the work on the transmission syncnos, thus causing 10 times fold less wear on the cr as wel as a much smoother shift- check out the linkfor a long example

double clutching

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Herc... er, i mean Shay.

jsut thought i'd check the place out, and hang around... i'm spending too much time staring at brown and yellow ;)

anyhoo, i'm adding to this convo to say that the reason double clutching WAS done (and isn't anymore) is because transmissions never used to have synchros... yeah, i mean a long, long time ago.

the deal is that the dog teeth on the cogs will only engage smoothly if the gear and the selector are spinning at about the same speed: one or the other spinning too much faster and you get *grrrrrrrriiiiiiiind*, and eventually a tranny you have to hold in gear.
the method is exactly as was described above, and this is so the whole drive train can be spun to the correct speed according to vehicle velocity and gear being selected...
with the synchros, you don't have to worry about this, as the synchros act as mini cluthes for each selector, decelerating/accelerating the gears in the transmission as necessary to match the speed of the wheels... you just need to blip/close the throttle to match engine speed, and 1-2-3 done.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts